2 SSD Drive into 1

lostsoul62

I want to take 2 SSD Drive into 1 because my C drive is getting full and I have four 120 GB SSD Drives so instead of buying a 240 GB SSD Drive would it be OK to just combined 2 of my 120 GB SSD drives so not to spend money on another on?

beers

Staff member
Why not just move data?

You could make a couple of them into a RAID0 or JBOD volume so they logically appear as one drive, however if you have a drive failure you lose the data on both drives in RAID0 and a random set of data that you can't easily influence in JBOD.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can't combine unless your motherboard supports raid 0 but wouldn't be a good choice just for data. Is your user folder data on main drive or do you have it on another drive? Pictures,music,documents folders from your user folder.

lostsoul62

I said my C drive is 120 GB so I only have the System on that drive and my data on another drive. Are there people out there that put data on their C drive?

AlienMenace

Hello:
I have a 128gb SSD HD in my computer, and I never had to run out of space yet. It is my system drive (Windows 10) also. I have some stuff on there like pictures for my desktop wallpaper and some documents. But mostly, the rest of my stuff like music, movies, other pictures, documents, sits on a 1 tb HD and the tb is partitioned into 4 separate drives. By the picture, I have still have 66gb free. And this drive is 5 yrs old.

SSD HD Space.jpg

lostsoul62

I have 111 GB being used on my 120 GB SSD Drive and I only have the system on this drive which is Windows 7 and I took a good look at it and I can't figure out what to get rid of so what program should I use to free up some space?

beers

Staff member
I have 111 GB being used on my 120 GB SSD Drive
Being used, or total volume size? A 120 GB SSD only partitions out to 111 GB as max capacity. If you ONLY have Windows on that drive and you get the red bar with under 1 GB free in My Computer then that's a huge problem.

You can use this utility to see what's sucking up all of your space, if it's just media files then drag them to the other drives.
https://windirstat.net/

lostsoul62

I'll try the cleanup program. I went in and seen how much is really in the drive and it's 81 GB's so I don't know why Computer - Cdrive under properties is showing 111 GB's I wouldn't think that there would be that big of a difference. I've seen the red bar on other peoples drives and if that ever happen to me I would take care of it the same day.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you go into "computer" and hover over C drive, you'll get a popup that says drive size and what free space is available. That blue bar will turn red when you are running out of space as well.

drive size.jpg