2 Video Cards needed for 2 Moniters ?

sa3dos

Hello folks,

I am planing to build a computer for the first time, but what I want to take into account is; How can I build a computer that could supper 2 VGA output?

I want two VGA Outputs because I want to connect the computer to the regular moniter and my Sony 40" LCD Television :)

Last time I connected my computer using a 256mb Video card (through VGA cable) to my Television, I got an amazing picture, 1080X768.

I thought I would ask you guys first before I purchase my new computer components, because you might tell me that I need a motherboard with two video card slots maybe.. ?

:cool:

red onion

For a dual monitor setup, you do not need two video cards, one will be fine. Just make sure that there are two monitor connections on the back.
Most add-in video cards have this feature and support two monitors.

kof2000

buy a card that has 2 dvi connection because they will come with converters so you can switch back and forth between dvi and vga if you want to.

sa3dos

1)Do I lose any quality when I use the DVI to VGA convertor ?

2)Did you recommend purchasing a card with two DVI instead of two VGA because a dual VGA Video Card is Rare ?

3)in terms of normal usage, not gaming, is there a difference between 256mb and 512mb on the HDTV ?

Last edited:

magicman

VIP Member
1)Do I lose any quality when I use the DVI to VGA convertor ?
Some, but not noticable under most uses.
2)Did you recommend purchasing a card with two DVI instead of two VGA because a dual VGA Video Card is Rare ?
Most cards you'll find have dual DVI these days. Plus DVI is a higher quality digital connection. So yes, get one of those.
3)in terms of normal usage, not gaming, is there a difference between 256mb and 512mb on the HDTV ?
No. In fact even in gaming, all that number tells you is how much memory it has. It doesn't say anything about how many frames it'll be able to throw out every second.

heyman421

banned
the reason cards come with dvi, and not vga, is because DVI-A has both vga and dvi connections on the same plug

that's what the four pins off to the side are, are your red, blue, green, and sync, and then the huge group of pins is the digital hookup

so a DVI-A port is really both DVI-D and VGA all in one.

sa3dos

Oh, now I have a much better understanding regarding the Output ports.

My concern now would be, finding a good Video Card that will give me the best performance on both my TV and PC Moniter.

I have pulled the resolution information for both screens, and I attached them under.

If you guys know one Video Card that will work best for my screens, or if you know what I should look for in Video Cards to get the maximum picture quality for both screens, please tell me.

Television: Sony Bravia LCD 40" - Model: KDL-40S2010

PC Moniter: Dell 20" Flat Panel Monitor - Model: 2007WFP
Horizontal scan range:30 kHz to 81 kHz (automatic)
Vertical scan range: 56 Hz to 76 Hz, exception 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz only
Optimal preset resolution: 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz
Highest preset resolution: 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz

Attachments

• KDL-40S2010.JPG
    KDL-40S2010.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited: