2 video cards

bobn

I have an older desktop (Intel DZ77BH-55K, [email protected], 32GB ram and Nvidia GeForce GTX 650) with W10 Pro v 22H2. I just purchased a Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 for dual monitors. I installed the new device and wouldn't boot to windows. I put the old GTX650 back in PCI Bus 1 and new RTX 3060 in PCI Bus 2. Restarted and got it working. However I don’t want 2 video cards and 3 monitors. I only want the RTX 3060. How do I remove the old GTX 650 and leave the new card in PCI Bus 2 because it’s longer.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just so we are on the same page here. Those video cards will only work in the blue PCIE slots, the black one are pci slots and not compatible. The 3060 most likely needs a power connector from the power supply and it will not boot without it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Does the 3060 in the top slot interfere with something? The card should work just fine in the second slot all by itself, it will be only at half speed though since that slot is at 8x instead of 16x.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Thats weird that the chipset is too high. If the pc won't boot with the 3060 in the second slot then go into the bios and see if there is a setting for initial video output. Probably won't be but a suggestion. Not sure what else to do here.

bobn

I'm going to put it the first slot ...got nothing to lose at this point. I set the bios for general which was default. Thanks for all your input!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Your posts are confusing. Thought you said it wouldn't fit in the first slot due to the chipset?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Either it's a bad card or possibly a driver issue. Uninstall driver for the 650, don't let windows reinstall it. Shut system down. Put 3060 in top slot. Boot windows amd see what happens. Are you sure the 3060 is inserted all the way?

bobn

The card is good because it works in the second slot only if the 650 is in the first slot. I'm sure it's a driver issue. The 3060 is inserted all the way.
When you say Uninstall driver for the 650, you mean from the Device Manager, correct? I'll try that and see. I'll do this next week . I'm heading out shortly for the weekend and will advise you what happens.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Use DDU to uninstall and shut down the PC
Swap the card
Install latest drivers

bobn

Either it's a bad card or possibly a driver issue. Uninstall driver for the 650, don't let windows reinstall it. Shut system down. Put 3060 in top slot. Boot windows amd see what happens. Are you sure the 3060 is inserted all the way?
Tried all that you said and still the same.. Put the old card back in.....Either the card is no good or my motherboard isn't compatible. Either way I'm returning it back to Amazon. I appreciate all your help!