$20 Computer Project

Rit

So being poor I am unable to buy a computer I really want, as the computer in my signature final did it's last calculation. So my buddy gave me a motherboard for free and I thought that every paycheck, I'll take $20 and put it towards a 'new' part for my 'new' computer.

So Far...

Case: NZXT BETA EVO - $20 from Craigslist (Added Feb 28)
Motherboard: MSI K8NGM2-FID - Free from friend
CPU: Athlon 64x2 3800+ - Bought off craigslist $20
CPU Fan: Thermaltake Golden Orb II - Bought off craigslist $15
RAM: 2GB (2 x 1 GB) G-Skill DDR 400 (PC-3200) - From old computer but looking for another 2GB.
HD:
GPU:
PSU: Ultra X-Connect 500W - Bought off E-Bay $24 (Shipping included)
Accessories (Fans/Cables/etc...):

If you have any parts that I'm missing and would like to sell for $20, shoot me a message! :D

Last edited:

Drenlin

This is a fairly good guide when looking for your GPU:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

I'd recommend trying to find at least an ATI 4650/4670 if possible.

I'd save up for two paychecks on that one, honestly. You can just use your 7600 till then...it isn't that bad.

Last edited:

Rit

Sadly ya, I agree that might be the only part I will have to spend more than $20 bucks on. But for ~$160, I think the computer will be worth it :D

Drenlin

Indeed...I'm looking at doing something similar till I get a proper rig built. All I need is a mobo, CPU, and RAM. Looking at a socket 478 P4HT rig...It'd be cheap, and fast enough for light gaming. (Source games, mmo's, and the like)

Rit

Well it's an AGP video card though, plus I was thinking of selling parts of my old computer so I can get a better video card.

Rit

Found a cool case for cheap! Just need a HD and GPU and I'll have my new computer! :D