20 pin power supply plug, 24 pin motherboard slot?

Shambree

I recently purchased a new motherboard, only to find that the plug from the power supply was a 20 pin plug, and that the motherboard has a 24 pin slot. Is there anyway around this without forking out more money on an adapter? :confused:

Geoff

VIP Member
Shambree said:
I recently purchased a new motherboard, only to find that the plug from the power supply was a 20 pin plug, and that the motherboard has a 24 pin slot. Is there anyway around this without forking out more money on an adapter? :confused:
Yes! i had the same problem several months ago. You can just use the 20pin in the 24pin slot. I had mine like that for a week before i got my new 24-pin PSU, and it worked fine.

Chris Chan

The best way to go would be an adapter, they're only $5. If you plug the 20pin PSU into the 24pin MB, you might get stability issues.

Geoff

VIP Member
Chris Chan said:
The best way to go would be an adapter, they're only $5. If you plug the 20pin PSU into the 24pin MB, you might get stability issues.
As long as there are enough amps on the +12V rail, there shouldnt be any instability issues. Just dont try overclocking until you get all 24-pins used. And the best way is to get a 24pin PSU, since they have 2x +12 Rails.