20 to 24 pin?

redCifer

I just bought a case with a 20 pins socket psu, my motherboard requires a 24 pins socket. I just found a 20 to 24 pin adaptator on a random web site. Is it ok to use those kind of adaptator without having to buy a new motherboard after plugging the psu?

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Yes

Why not? It will definitely work fine and you cannot go wrong really. There is no need to buy a new motherboard when in fact most new motherboards are 24pin :)

JAN :D

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Well, if you have a good enough psu...I read somewhere that the 20 pin psu sometimes doesn't output enough power for the 24pin psu..is that true?

Xycron

banned
If anything you would want a new PSU, not a new mothboard, the PSU you got is prabally crappy anyywas's, msot that come with case's are. But the adapter should work fine.

Geoff

VIP Member
If it has enough power on the +12V rail, then it should be fine with just the 20-pin, but a 24pin has 2x +12V rails, so it has much more power. If you dont want to get a new PSU then i would buy that adapter.

b182tm

Yeah, I have a 20-24 pin adapter and it works fine, havent had any problems. In fact, I used it without the adapter fora few days and it worked.

Derek

Royrog

Yeah, I have a 20-24 pin adapter and it works fine, havent had any problems. In fact, I used it without the adapter fora few days and it worked.

Derek

Yeah I have an adapter to, works fine as well, I got it off Ebay for about £2.00 :)

sho95

You may be getting something you don't need. What is your set up ?
If you are using a Mobo that has video and thats the way you set up your system then you don't need the 24 pins. The extra 4 pins are for you PCI-X.