2066 X299 cheap vs expensive

H_L

I see there are $300 2066 x299 boards and $700+ ones. What's the difference apart from connections etc...
Like if I want to put a 7800x, nvme ssd, 2080 video card, 4 sticks of 8gb G.Skill Flare X F4-3200C14D In both boards which would be better??
You see I'm not interested in a ton of nvme ports or a ton of usb or multiple lan connects or heaps of sata ports I just want to run those items with the best performance.

Cheers

Intel_man

VIP Member
Most of the time, the fairly expensive X299 boards are due to robust VRM designs, specific extreme overclocking features, and markup.

Do you have any specific boards you are looking at? It's hard to generalize the whole X299 lineup.

H_L

That’s a good question as I’m stuck on what to decide. I was going to go an Asus m7 ack motherboard BUT I don’t think they make them anymore.

For an example you have these 2 boards:

https://www.newegg.com/global/au-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD7H8CF7737

https://www.newegg.com/global/au-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119057

$595 and $861 that’s like $260 odd dollars difference for what?

Also gigabyte has a lot of 2066 x299 boards like the gaming 3 or the gaming 7 or the gaming 9 and I can’t see a difference other than extra connections and stuff so I’m assuming it will have the same performance with the simple cpu, ram, m.2, graphics card install I said earlier?

I’m not really interested in overclocking or running sli or massive cards as it’s just a really good all round computer.

@ Beers
I don’t think I want to go an i9 as it’s like at least twice the price..... Would you really benefit going an i9??? I don’t really do gaming enough but I do edit videos and super high res photos and audio rendering with studio software for music creation.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I don’t really do gaming enough but I do edit videos and super high res photos and audio rendering with studio software for music creation.
What sort of software are you using for that?

Beers is referring to the 9000 series CPUs on the LGA1151 socket (i.e. i7 9700k, i9 9900k, etc...)

I mean, if you're not getting the X299 stuff for the crazy core count processors, extra PCI-e lanes and the quad channel memory support, I'd probably stick to the Z390 + i9-9900k combo for what you're doing.

Or...

Go AMD Ryzen route. Really depends on what you primarily do. If you do very specific tasks with a select few programs, we can probably help you choose the better option between the AMD and Intel.

H_L

Well the answer of this initial question will help me with the other build I’m doing too.

This 1st build is an all rounder computer and not to intense but it will be used for video editing, high res photo editing, high res photo scanning, data transfer, audio editing etc....

My 2nd better build I’m doing is going to be used for intense video editing and intense audio rendering, digital art and the odd high res game running two 4k screens

I did compare some motherboards with the compare future on the manufacturers websites and all I can basically see is extra connections that I doubt I’ll use.

I just don’t want to pay for a $700 board only for someone to ask me “why I went with a $700 board when I’m not using all the connections as the performance is the same”

I like the 2066 boards I like the 8 dimms and I like that it can future proof the system a little more.

Fairly set on these components:

7800x, maybe up to 2 nvme ssd drives, 2080 video card, 4 or 8 sticks of ram like 32 or 64gb. I reckon I will go with those components.

Cheers so much guys!!