256MB RAM upgrade =)

PHATSPEED7x

Just added my 256MB RAM stick to my compaq desktop, and now it's like a whole new computer. Xubuntu is running awesome now. Total system memory is now 384MB. :D

PHATSPEED7x

Nothing wrong with having both a desktop, and a notebook. I can't help it if the desktop is older than the notebook.

Fritzjavel

LOL, man I Feel you, I remember my old XP i bought has only 256, and i saved up all my change to purchase another 256mb or DDR 2700 Ram for 11 @ Amamzon.... I was sooo happy, XP was zooming, until it got slow again..:(... Now it's zooming 2gig DDR2 :D...LOL... my life w/ computers is a emotional rollercoaster..LOL...

larryf215

that compaq probably has integrated graphics?? If you have an available slot, maybe you can pick up an old 32mb card for $20. this may enable greater chose of linux distros, maybe something with a kde desktop.

headshot0123

I have 1GB in my desktop and it runs quick, and I've never had any reason to complain. You really only need to have a lot of Ram if you want to use your computer for online games. If you just use your PC for everyday stuff then 512MB should be fine as long as you have a decent processor.

Droogie

I have 1GB in my desktop and it runs quick, and I've never had any reason to complain. You really only need to have a lot of Ram if you want to use your computer for online games. If you just use your PC for everyday stuff then 512MB should be fine as long as you have a decent processor.

Not really anymore, the standard is usually minimum of 1GB, but most of the time 2GB, because of the substantial memory that Vista uses.

Fritzjavel

I like 2 gig because they have the best deals.. I mean two one gigs for 40 buck Ultra DDR2 mem @ 800mhz?... If Thats not cheap tell me what is... a intel chip...LOL

jdbennet

yeah i added an extra 256 to my old thinkpad (600mhz) , to give it 382 (hey, when it was new it was the days of windows 2000 / 98, so 128 was quite a lot) and it makes a lot of difference. 384 is enough to run xp quite well, if you tweak it (classic theme, turn off some services + fancy effects) but IE7 is slow as is WMP11