2600 recognized as a 2000

epidemik

I recently substituted an AMD Athlon (XP?) 2600+ for an AMD Athlon XP 2000+. When the bios loaded after the switch, it showed that the processor was a 2000. So i reset the bios (boot without battery right?) but that didnt help. I continued to boot. Once im in windows, i checked with CPU-Z and it still says i have the Athlon 2000+ in. The computer isnt going any faster.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Jake.

EDIT:Does it have to do with multipliers or whatever? I dont really know anything about those

BTW: Do you think its bad to be running the comp like this? The 2600 recognized as a 2000.

Some original talk about the switch:
http://www.computerforum.com/88062-how-do-i-remove-old-heatsink.html#post686207

I recently substituted an AMD Athlon (XP?) 2600+ for an AMD Athlon XP 2000+. When the bios loaded after the switch, it showed that the processor was a 2000. So i reset the bios (boot without battery right?) but that didnt help. I continued to boot. Once im in windows, i checked with CPU-Z and it still says i have the Athlon 2000+ in. The computer isnt going any faster.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Jake.

EDIT:Does it have to do with multipliers or whatever? I dont really know anything about those

BTW: Do you think its bad to be running the comp like this? The 2600 recognized as a 2000.

Some original talk about the switch:
http://www.computerforum.com/88062-how-do-i-remove-old-heatsink.html#post686207

That might be the mobo's limit

epidemik

http://www.mbreview.com/a7v266e.php

Processor
# Socket A for AMD® Athlon XP / Athlon / Duron 550MHz ~ 1.4GHz+ CPU

Chipset
# VIA® KT266A Chipset

FSB
# 266/200 MHz

Okay, I found this about it...so theres no way it can run the 2600? The AMD Athlon XP 2000+ @ 1.7ghz is the best processor this mobo can run?

What is downclocking and how do i do it? When you say downclock it, do you mean i could make the cpu run slower than a 2600 but it would still be faster than the 2000?

BTW: I got the 2600 for free. :D

http://www.mbreview.com/a7v266e.php

Okay, I found this about it...so theres no way it can run the 2600? The AMD Athlon XP 2000+ @ 1.7ghz is the best processor this mobo can run?

What is downclocking and how do i do it? When you say downclock it, do you mean i could make the cpu run slower than a 2600 but it would still be faster than the 2000?

BTW: I got the 2600 for free. :D

Yup that is as fast as it will run, at least it was free and no loss

epidemik

*tear*

anyone have a beginers guide to overclocking? rofl....but seriously, where should i start?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Well you must have the 333 FSB XP Athlon 2600. As far as Overclocking I dont think those VIA chipsets have a PCI lock so you cant overclock it too much. Just set your ran speed back from 266 to 200, then start raising your FSB up a few MHZ at a time till it locks up then back off alittle, make sure you keep a eye on the processor temp. Older Athlons seem to heat up pretty fast.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Well you must have the 333 FSB XP Athlon 2600. As far as Overclocking I dont think those VIA chipsets have a PCI lock so you cant overclock it too much. Just set your ran speed back from 266 to 200, then start raising your FSB up a few MHZ at a time till it locks up then back off alittle, make sure you keep a eye on the processor temp. Older Athlons seem to heat up pretty fast.

you'll also have to keep an eye on the HT link, making sure it doesn't go too far above or below the set limit for your motherboard.

epidemik

Im just about a complete beginer to overclocking.
How do I set my RAM back?
How do I raise my FSB?
What will it do when it "locks"?

I just read the OC101 but im still a little confused. It said set the Multiplier, Voltage etc to what you want. I know how to do that and have access to those settings, i just dont know what to set to or what to change and how much to change it by.

What temp should it be at. I think im already running a bit high.

Is there a step by step tutorial for this?

BTW I worked hard for that 3D mark score :p
EDIT: w00t 300th post and im still a noob :D