2GB Memory?

Never heard of it but im guessing it has something to do with either loading a cd/dvd or a part of the harddrive onto the ram for insane speed.

jancz3rt said:
I think that everyone made it clear that 1GB is enough for now. You will be investing into something you will not need. It's all up to you. Afterall, I have a crazy friend with 4GB!!! He thinks that it gives him the extra edge....but it does not. Just stick with 1GB of high quality ram and you will be more than fine.

JAN :D

How has he got 4GB In there as there is only 2 Ram Slots

Bobo

banned
evilxp2800 said:
2x2GB???
explain what this is plz.
A RAMdrive is basically a hdd in the RAM....amazingly fast speeds.

BTW...welcome back 69711, haven't seen you in a while :D No more parentheses battles

Greg J.

VIP Member
evilxp2800 said:

If that is true, then the density of each RAM stick is 2 GB for each slot......2 x 2 = 4.

2 to 4 GB RAM is a worthy investment for the future. 1 GB will suffice for now.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a high-end computer, then getting 512 MB x 4 would be nice in a two dual channel setup to have 2 GB.
Provided you dont drop down to Command Rate 2T :)

Actually, getting 4 x 1GB would be better for future investment
Except by the time games get to the point of beginning to use that, your entire system (and memory architecture) will be obsolete

explain what this is plz.
Ramdrive = RAM that acts like a harddrive (until you restart

I dont know the board in question but they do make 2GB DIMMs .... of course I still think its more likely to be a bit too much boasting since you'd need registered memory for that

how does one use/install this so called ram drive?
Enough thread hijaking, new topic = new thread please :)

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Overkill

SuicideMayne said:
i have 2gb ram and everything is running way smoother then when i had 1gb

I bet....but i think that's an overkill. It's nice to have but give me a practical use for it. Even Doom3 will not use up all that!

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
That..l

That would depend on the core. If it's a Venice, all four slots could be filled but would not run at 1T. If it's a Winnie, all four slots should not be filled. I would suggest 1GB to be the norm now.

Travo925

I think over 1 gig is a tad overkill, IMO, but it is upto you, but if it is between 512 and 1 gig, definetly go for the gig

SuicideMayne

jancz3rt said:
I bet....but i think that's an overkill. It's nice to have but give me a practical use for it. Even Doom3 will not use up all that!

yea i know but its always good to have and i went a lil upgrade crazy haha.... but i do see an improvment.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
haha

Oh well it would make me feel like I have something more as well ;). I may do so in the future but not right now.

TonyBAMF

I did not expect to need 2GB for a good while, But I rather buy 4 of the same brand/model now, rather then mix them in the future.

Geoff

VIP Member
Travo925 said:
I think over 1 gig is a tad overkill, IMO, but it is upto you, but if it is between 512 and 1 gig, definetly go for the gig

Im assuming you dont play any new games, practically all new games require 512mb ram, and dont even play that well with only 512. THe minimum for gaming now is 1GB.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
yea i know but its always good to have and i went a lil upgrade crazy haha.... but i do see an improvment.
Very true ... was packing 2GB myself last week ... A difference? Yes. Noticeable? When doing my video stuff yeah. Earth shattering? Not really :)