2nd o/s on 2nd drive

stratford

i have a second hard drive witch i would like to install another o/s.
my main hd is ntfs and second a fat32.would it be possible to install 2nd o/s and the system boot up to ask witch one you want to boot into.i cant seem to find anywhere to tell you how to do this.help would be appreciated

dave597

VIP Member
yes, just go ahead and install it, you just have to choose the other partition to install to (fat32), and then you will be able to boot up in either. I triple boot in xp sp1, xp sp2, and xp 64 bit. i was gonna install fedora core 3 a while back but i havent had the time.

by the way - could you tell me which oses they are that you are installing?

stratford

but how do i install it the 2nd drive is active so it does not require patitioning so if i insert my windows cd sureley it will install on c drive not d drive

dave597

VIP Member
erm what os/es do u have and what r u installing?

anyway, as long as your two hard drives are currently detected in windows, with correct size and formatting partitioning shouldnt matter.

when you get to the install screen it will say select a partition, either 1st drive or 2nd drive, select the latter. that was how u choose which partition - windows wont randomly install on the first drive it sees. :) ill assume your fat32 is clean, do a quick format, if you are installing xp (u havent told me) then you will be asked to convert to ntfs, you may as well leave it for the moment.

stratford

i have just purchased a second hand desktop and it came with xp pro and i have not got a xp pro disk so i thuoght if i installed xp home on 2nd drive if anything went wrong with 1st drive i would still have a o/s to boot into because i have a xp home disc.
bit when i insert the disc and click install it says the o/s system you have is newer than the one i want to install so it wont install.
have i got something wrong here 1 master 1 slave

dave597

VIP Member
i recommend that you dont install an older o/s over or alongside xp.

oh sorry - i see you are about to install xp! :)

erm.. you cant do this from windows.

restart press the button to go into bios, and change the first boot device to cd-rom, when that is done, restart and inert the cd, and install then.

Last edited:

stratford

you have worried me now why do you not recomend installing another o/s alongside xp

also if i boot cdrom 1st and install wil it ask me wich drive i want to install it to i could always install winme instead of xp home if thats makes thins easier

AMD ATHLON THUNDERBIRD
1.8GHz 2200+
MSI KT3 ULTRA2 MOBO
NVIDIA RIVA TNT 64 PRO CRAP
512 DDR RAM
40 GIG MASTER
20 GIG SLAVE
CDRW/DVDRW
1 MBIT BROADBAND
NETGEAR WIFI
FLOPPY
2 FIREWIRE
6 USB

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
but how do I install it the 2nd drive is active so it does not require patitioning so if I insert my windows cd sureley it will install on c drive not d drive
You get to pick which drive you want to install to

i recommend that you dont install an older o/s over or alongside xp
Why not? They're independent (i.e., XP isnt gonna "sabatoge" the other OS)

stratford

i have booted from cdrom and it does not give me the option of drivei want to install on. unless i did not go far enough with install it just asked if i want to erase nt files already stored in computer so i suspect this was my main drive wich i dont want to destroy maybe it is safer just to run one o/s after all

Yeti

VIP Member
i have booted from cdrom and it does not give me the option of drivei want to install on. unless i did not go far enough with install it just asked if i want to erase nt files already stored in computer so i suspect this was my main drive wich i dont want to destroy maybe it is safer just to run one o/s after all
Can't you just disconnect your other hard drive while you do the install? I would do that anyway just because I'd be paranoid about accidentally choosing the wrong drive.