3 System Fans and an H60 Hydro Cpu Cooler To Much Stress On Mainboard?

MikJames

Hello folks.

I'm piecing together a build and I have 3 fairly large (120mm?) system fans as well as an h60 hydro cpu cooler to power. The board (Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4) has the perfect number of fan slots for the job, but I'm wondering if it might be better to wire at least some of those fans to the psu instead?

They are all 3 pin coolers by the way so i assume they won't vary in speed either way?

Thanks in advance.

MikJames

Isn't the 4th pin required for that dynamic control though? The fan connectors are only 3 out of the 4 pins.

MikJames

Well no, just a trained A+ certified computer tech with only a few builds under my belt, asking honest questions on a public forum. You've certainly no obligation to provide anything other than sarcasm if you choose, but it would be greatly appreciated if you did take the time to explain what the 4th pin is there for. That really wasn't even my initial question though. The more important issue at hand is whether or not it is wise to be connecting 3 large fans and a cpu cooler with a radiator and fan attached to the motherboard. So if anyone can chime in on that I would greatly appreciate your help :)

MikJames

Yeah no sh!t, you mean if you gain experience in an activity you learn things and don't have to ask as many questions? I'll keep that little nugget in mind.
You represent this forum do you? or are moderators chosen from general users? If this is your paid job you may want to consider a career change.

Either way I probably could have answered that one myself with a couple minutes on google. The real question is whether or not connecting 3 fans and a unorthodox cpu cooler to the motherboard is putting to much stress on it.

beers

Staff member
No need to be rude, although I realize it can be frustrating for you being a child that knows nothing.

The real question is whether or not connecting 3 fans and a unorthodox cpu cooler to the motherboard is putting to much stress on it.

You aren't using any high-draw fans, why would this even be a question?

Okedokey

Hello folks.

I'm piecing together a build and I have 3 fairly large (120mm?) system fans as well as an h60 hydro cpu cooler to power. The board (Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4) has the perfect number of fan slots for the job, but I'm wondering if it might be better to wire at least some of those fans to the psu instead?

They are all 3 pin coolers by the way so i assume they won't vary in speed either way?

Thanks in advance.

No there wont be any issues with current draw and you will still be able to modify the fan profiles in the bios as it will modify the voltage rather than the pulse (PWM) to change the speed.

C4C

I've never heard of having standard fans plugged into a motherboard harming it... Lol I have 4 + 1 via PSU