3 x 256 mb RAM

Pyotr

Because of some morons at an internet computer store, I've now got 4 256 mb RAM thingies, 2 Twinmos and two that I can't remember the name of. However, I've only got room for 3 of them, making it a total of 768 mb. Is that any good, or should I return two of them and get a 512 mb instead?

Pyotr

So 4 x 256 is better than 2 x 512?
But I'm gonna trade two 256 for a 512, and that should be better, right?

Grimulus

What's your motherboard man? Sometimes it's better to just use 2 sticks instead of filling up the whole thing...the ram will downclock if all the slots are filled sometimes.

4W4K3

VIP Member
run 2*512 if you can afford it. i run 2*256 DC and its pretty fast. but if you NEED 1GB then another 512stick would probably be your best option. i never needed more than 512mb though...not a big gamer or anything. dual channel improves benchmark scores and such...a slight noticable difference. 1GB will probably only help you out if your playing the newest games or photoediting or using lots of apps at the same time and dont want lag.

Pyotr

Yeah, AMD indeed.

I don't think I can get 2 x 512, unfortunately, but I do want to play a lot of games. Bummer, eh?

Pyotr

Actually, if you're referring to the CPU, isn't that an Athlon chip and no A64 chip?
Will most games work fine with "only" 512 mb RAM?

Grimulus

kof2000 said:
fill it with 3 1gb slots :D

look at most motherboards that have 3 slots, let's say my old motherboard for example, Asus A7V600. if you filled up all 3 slots with pc3200, the ram would downclokc to pc2700. so if you just have 2 filled up, it runs at pc3200 or one slot is the same.

not to mention the fact that 3gb of ram is useless for most people, actually the fast majority of people. so you would have 2 gigs of unused ram and the ram that is being used would be running slower. waste of money.

Keep in mind, I still haven't gotten a chance to look at the mobo, but yeah, this is what i'm thinking.

CodeName47

`Sure, but would, theoretically, 4 256 work better than 2 256 and 1 512?`

if the memory cards that u installed are sd-ram they well be slower then the dd-ram, dd-ram it is for p4 and sd is for p3....and dd-ram obv` is better then sd-ram... :cool:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Sure, but would, theoretically, 4 256 work better than 2 256 and 1 512?`
Not just theoretically but inactuality (there are exceptions but those are more theoreitical)