32bit 64bit Windows 7

lavitz6t7

I have 5gb of DDR2 ram in my tower at the moment and to my understanding I would have to upgrade my 32bit Windows 7 to a 64bit Windows 7 to access all 5 gigs, but when I check it says only 3gbs are usable? Can anyone enlighten me on this situation and where I went wrong??

Geoff

VIP Member
Are you saying that you upgraded to a 64 bit OS, and you still only see 3GB of RAM? If you are still on a 32bit OS, then 3GB is about what you can expect to see if you have integrated video.

lavitz6t7

Are you saying that you upgraded to a 64 bit OS, and you still only see 3GB of RAM? If you are still on a 32bit OS, then 3GB is about what you can expect to see if you have integrated video.

yes. I upgraded to 64bit but it says when I go to properties on mycomputer that 3gbs are usable even though there's 5gbs in the computer right now.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Go in the BIOS and see if there is a setting for memory remapping. If it's enabled, disable it.

Darren

Staff member
If none of those work try resetting BIOS to defaults. Worked for me when I had RAM issues when I first had my build. Sometimes the BIOS just has to reset and reassess what memory is in the motherboard.