$350 Performance Upgrade

Exo

Specs are in my sig below.

I have about $350.00 extra to spend on upgrades for my system. When I built it, I didnt know as much as I thought I did about computers, so there are some parts that I wish I would have done different.

Bang for the buck, what upgrades would you suggest?

Gary1

CPU or GPU. More memory in GPU. However I am thinking you have a nice Computer as is.
The motherboard could be better but you can consider saving the $350 for a few months and wait for Ivy bridge?

Mr.Moose

Is an upgrade really necessary? Where do YOU think you need an upgrade? What do you want to do, and how much more performance do you want? Do you want a performance upgrade? Want your system to be cooler? You shouldn't upgrade your system merely because you have the money to in my opinion. From my experience you can't have too cool of a system, so if you feel the need to upgrade, why not go for a watercooling system?

Exo

Well, to be honest, I can't really say that I NEED an upgrade on anything. I have always battled most of my computer life with lower end equipment and I just want to stay ahead of the game. I am sure that I would be safe saying it is more of a want.

I really wish I would have went with a 2500k and better MOBO. But, for the games I play, it does great.

Part of me wants to upgrade things so I can learn more about them. I really like the look and performance of liquid cooling, but will that do any good on my system?

I already have a second 570 now, but I would have to upgrade the power supply to do anything with it. I am a little worried about SLI and my MOBO though. So part of me is thinking a new MOBO and power supply.

Mishkin

I second the SSD suggestion. You have a pretty nice system as is, and an SSD in there would make a big difference. It's the only area you're weak in.

Exo

I second the SSD suggestion. You have a pretty nice system as is, and an SSD in there would make a big difference. It's the only area you're weak in.

Any suggestions on SSD brands? How difficult are they to install and would it require a system wipe and reinstall?

SuperDuperMe

Your idea for a PSU and mobo is probably the best. If it were me id go for SLI'íng the 570's. GPU is the most important part for gaming, so getting 2 gtx 570's up and running seems to be the best performance gain you will get with your budget.

Gary1

SLI is a good idea as well.
If you want best performance results with SSD you will need to do a clean instal on the SSD, Intel Corsair, OCZ are good brands. Get the largest one you can afford, no less than 90Gigs and that space will be taken up quickly.
You will have to set up the SSD a little differently. I am a little rusty on SSD but I think you can not defrag. Perhaps someone can elaborate a bit more on it.

http://www.edgetechcorp.com/howto/How-To-Install-SSD-Drive.asp

Mishkin

If you want to go with an SSD, I would recommend staying away from OCZ. They are considered the worst SSD brand regarding reliability. Crucial (M4) and Samsung are both good brands for reliability and speed. Intel SSDs are known for their very good reliability, but are slower. For the most part, speed isn't so much of an issue when it comes to differences in SSDs, since they're all blindingly fast compared to mechanical drives. Reliability however, is another matter. There is a reason OCZ drives are consistently the cheapest SSDs you can find on the planet.