350 Watt Power Supply Sufficient?

IcYiNfErNo

I currently have a 350 watt power supply on my computer with the following config:

P4 2.8 Ghz
512 MB DDR PC3200
ASUS P4S800 Mobo
GeForce 4 FX5200
1 DVD-ROM drive
1 CD-ROM drive
1 200 GIG 7200 RPM hard drive
1 120 GIG 7200 RPM hard drive

I recently got a IDE controller card to add two extra ide ports. I was putting in an extra 120 GIG hard drive and 2 more cd rom drives but remembered that I need to buy a power adaptor that splits into two since the power supply only supports 4 devices, which were all taken. Is 350 watt enough to support 2 more CD-ROM drives and 1 more hard drive?

I am also planning to get an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro vid card, would that make it worse? Thanks!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
For now it works however if you wish to get anything more to the system it may start to be "not so enough". The heavy hitters as far as power goes is:
- CPU
- Video Card (only if its a premium gaming card -- not the card u've got now but certainly the 9800Pro -- i'd upgrade to a 400W PSU by then :) )
- Harddisk
- Optical disks when they are up and running

IcYiNfErNo

Thanks for the reply.

So if i add two more optical drives and as long as i dont run them simutaneously, it should be fine right?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah that should be ok -- but you never know -- it's always better to be safe than sorry. :)