4 KB/s ? wtf is that

ComputerSuck

Hi, I am using high speed interent, but I don't know why my download rate is only 3-4 kb/s when I try to download something. I am using a program called Bitcomet to download a soccer game. Even if there is 10 seeds, I don't know why my download rate is only 4 kb/s. Can anyone help please?

ComputerSuck

I am using Bitcomet 0.60 right now. They now have 0.62, is it because my software is out of date so it makes my download slow?

Mr.Suave

is it a P2P program? if it is then you really cant do much. have you tried increasing the download bandwitdh? or maby it could be just the people your downloading from dont have alot of upload speed.
They now have 0.62, is it because my software is out of date so it makes my download slow?
could be. try updating.

btw theres an edit button

Geoff

VIP Member
ComputerSuck said:
Hi, I am using high speed interent, but I don't know why my download rate is only 3-4 kb/s when I try to download something. I am using a program called Bitcomet to download a soccer game. Even if there is 10 seeds, I don't know why my download rate is only 4 kb/s. Can anyone help please?
thats what happens when you try to download software illegally, try downloading from a website such as filefront, your speed will be much better. Or better yet, why dont you save yourself 5 days of downloading, get a job, and buy the game huh?

:)

Altanore

Hmmm.. sounds like something illegal to me.. buut no matter how many seeds or leechers you download off of, the speed may not be great. Other people are downloading off that seed too so that will limit your upload from that seed. Depends how many leechers there are. Also note, normally when you start downloading a file off bittorrent, the download speed is normally slow to begin with.. then speeds up after it warms up (so to speak).

ComputerSuck

[-0MEGA-] said:
thats what happens when you try to download software illegally, try downloading from a website such as filefront, your speed will be much better. Or better yet, why dont you save yourself 5 days of downloading, get a job, and buy the game huh?

:)

thanks for responding. But my soccer game is Italy vs Germany. Is a real soccer game not those EA sport Fifa 200X.:(

Geoff

VIP Member
ComputerSuck said:
thanks for responding. But my soccer game is Italy vs Germany. Is a real soccer game not those EA sport Fifa 200X.:(
Sorry about that, but thats the thing with Torrent programs. You get inconsistant speeds, and some are very low. Normally i download around 250KBps on filefront, but whe i try to download a demo via torrent, sometimes im only download at around 5KBps.

Try google video.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
ComputerSuck said:

My advice, next time be more specific from the start...

ComputerSuck

Mr.Suave said:
is it a P2P program? if it is then you really cant do much. have you tried increasing the download bandwitdh? or maby it could be just the people your downloading from dont have alot of upload speed.

could be. try updating.

btw theres an edit button

I don't know whether it is a P2P or not because my computer knowledge is very poor. I know this program is for downloading video, games, musics, software......

As for bandwidth, I don't think there is an option for changing bandwidth thing. Under the Preference in the program, there are : Connection, Proxy, connection, IP Rules, Disk Cache to choose from. but I don't think they will affect the download rate. I am not sure about that thought since there are some techincal terms i don't understand

ComputerSuck

[-0MEGA-] said:
Sorry about that, but thats the thing with Torrent programs. You get inconsistant speeds, and some are very low. Normally i download around 250KBps on filefront, but whe i try to download a demo via torrent, sometimes im only download at around 5KBps.

Try google video.

yes I download a game from file front called American Army, my download rate was around 300KBps but I don't know what' s wrong with the bitcomet.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
ComputerSuck said:
alright man

The only reason I say that is because your first post sounded completely against the rules.. then again, most American professional sports television games can not be reproduced or retransmitted without the written consent from the league's front office... Isn't FIFA the ones who are in charge of the game you are dl'ing?? Maybe the person who copied the game needs written consent from FIFA before sharing it on a P2P.. anyone know???

ceewi1

VIP Member
ComputerSuck said:
yes I download a game from file front called American Army, my download rate was around 300KBps but I don't know what' s wrong with the bitcomet.
That's the problem with torrents - you're limited by the upload speed of whoever you're downloading it from. Just because you're downloading it from 10 people doesn't mean it will be fast. If they're all using dial up, or broadband with a low upload speed, you're download will be slow.

Having said that, you may want to make sure that there's nothing in your settings restricts the speed of your downloads (torrent programs will generally allow you to do that). Also, if you're connecting through a router and haven't forwarded the ports, it can result in slow downloads. If you ever get high download speeds, this isn't the problem.

Of course, you can always try a different program, Azureus, for example.

My feeling is that there's probably nothing wrong, it's just the limitations of the people you're downloading the file from.

ComputerSuck

ceewi1 said:
That's the problem with torrents - you're limited by the upload speed of whoever you're downloading it from. Just because you're downloading it from 10 people doesn't mean it will be fast. If they're all using dial up, or broadband with a low upload speed, you're download will be slow.

Having said that, you may want to make sure that there's nothing in your settings restricts the speed of your downloads (torrent programs will generally allow you to do that). Also, if you're connecting through a router and haven't forwarded the ports, it can result in slow downloads. If you ever get high download speeds, this isn't the problem.

Of course, you can always try a different program, Azureus, for example.

My feeling is that there's probably nothing wrong, it's just the limitations of the people you're downloading the file from.

yes, you may be right. Probably, people's upload speed is pretty slow. But the highest so far it ever get is only 10kBps and suddenly it would drop down to 0kBps. Look like there is nothing much I can do about it since I don't think I have limited my download speed or anything from the settings. But thanks for your help.

ComputerSuck

SFR said:

The only reason I say that is because your first post sounded completely against the rules.. then again, most American professional sports television games can not be reproduced or retransmitted without the written consent from the league's front office... Isn't FIFA the ones who are in charge of the game you are dl'ing?? Maybe the person who copied the game needs written consent from FIFA before sharing it on a P2P.. anyone know???

I am not sure about that. But since that game was not broadcasted here so that's why I download it from the interenet.