4 y/o mobo upgrading CPU HELP...

captduckie

I put together (4 years ago) an Abit BX6 version 2 with slot 1 architecture for CPU. Trying to upgrade from P3 500Mhz to P3 1Ghz. I cannot get past the "2 IDE Drives detected". I've tried putting in the old processor and get the same thing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

imjacktoo

Ur BIOS my need an upgrade inorder for it to recognize the new 1Ghz cpu...Go to ur Mobo website and check ur board to see if it needs an upgrade.....

Had the same poblem with an old MSI board that said it would take a 700Mhz but didnt untill I upgraded the BIOS....

OH and u may have to clear ur CMOS to recognize ur old cpu before it will work again...Not really sure, but easy to check out.....

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Or even a more difficult condition if the CPU is calibrated via DIP switches (which means voltages wont be adjustable) and thus if the CPU requires more voltage and wont/cant get it, it wont fire up

[tab]

[...]
Abit BX6 rev 2 is configured via firmware, not dip switches... I had one, was a good mobo until it's untimely demise at the hands of a dodgy NIC.