4 year old rig just turned off

heavy_line_tech

Ok so my old roomate built this computer for me in 07. About 6 mths ago he upgraded my video card and installed windows 7.

A couple days ago i had wow running in the background and tabbed out to open mozilla to look something up. The internet popped up and my computer turned off. No warnings, no nothin!

When i tried to turn it back on....nothin. No beeps or anything. There are no lights on this case so i dont know if they would light up. I unplugged everything for a few hours and still nothing. I took the side off the case and looked to see if the fans came on. They dont.

I figured that my psu blew up so i put in a 500w antec i had for a couple mths. Still nothing. One thing i noticed is that when i first plug in my psu and hit the power button on the front of the case, all my fans wiggle a tiny bit. They dont spin at all, just a slight wiggle. The wiggle only occurs after unplugging and plugging in my psu at the wall. It will only do it once!

Is my mobo trashed!? Ive been reading forums and watching youtube and i think thats what my problem is!

Sorry for typos and punctuation im writing this on my phone lol!

Geforce 6100sm-m
Amd a64 x2 5600
Original psu was 430w antec
Newer psu is 500w antec basic something or other lol
evga geforce gtx 460 is the newer gpu from 6 mths ago.
2 gigs of Kingston ddr2

This is really all i can gather from my very small knowledge of computers. If i need to provide more info i can try, just let me know!!

Thanks everyone!!

heavy_line_tech

There should be a light on the motherboard, does it light up when the PSU is turned on?

I dont see any lights at all on this thing. Where would it be at?

I just turned off all the lights in my kitchen and turned the psu on and hit the power button and nothing lit up in the dark lol

Last edited:

CrazyMike

I looked up your board, and i can't even find it. Bottom right hand corner something there looks like a light, but maybe this one doesn't.

EDIT: Scratch that, it's not a light.

CrazyMike

Suggestion: Check all connections make sure all connections are secure and there is nothing grounding out.

Could also try this Power supply calculator. I kinda tried but unsure of your system.

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Another suggestion is unplugging the computer from the wall, turn off power switch on the back of the computer, remove motherboard battery, push the power button a few times, and reverse process. This will reset the CMOS. See if anything happens. If this doesn't work, i would try removing the graphics card and start the computer.

Last edited:

heavy_line_tech

Ok so i unplugged everything and plugged it all back in. All the connections are secure and none of the pins are pulled out of the connectors. I cant see anything shorted. Nothing. I unplugged everything except the mobo, pcu fan and the graphics card. Pcu fan still only turns about 1/8 of a rotation.

EDIT: OK LEMME TRY THAT
Caps

heavy_line_tech

Ok i pulled the little battery out of the mobo and pressed the power button and reset button a couple times. Still just a little wiggle from the fans. Pulled out the graphics card and the same thing with th card out

CrazyMike

well it sounded to me just a power issue, but my knowledge only goes so far hahaha. Sounded like the PSU was locking up. Really i would think by checking all connections, reseting the bios and removing the hardware drawing the most amount of power, you would see some sort of change. The only other option i would think would be bad RAM. But even that, it should run for at least a second and try and restart.

You said that you tried a different power supply, so the chances of two dead PSU are out.

one way to look at it is that the 775 is outdated and time you can upgrade :) I myself run the 775 and in the middle of upgrading.

CrazyMike

maybe a stupid suggestion, but you could try removing the RAM and reinstalling it *even try the one RAM module method*
. Also look to see that the power and reset buttons are not stuck.

paulcheung

Ram would not stop the lights come on, I think it maybe the mainboard short the psu, Try to get some one to test if the PSUs are good, someone with a voltage meter, maybe the fuse burnt on the PSU?
Just a thought.
Cheers

heavy_line_tech

Yeah i tried both sticks by themselves and no go. I guess someone is tellin me to upgrade lol! Especially when i cant run wow higher than low settings!

Im lucky enough to live about 15 mins away from micro center so i can take advantage of their amazing i5 2500k deal. I think im gonna go with that and a msi z68 board. Gonna get a 650w gaming psu. Should i upgrade from the gtx460 card? Its the 768mb version not the 1g.

heavy_line_tech

Ram would not stop the lights come on, I think it maybe the mainboard short the psu, Try to get some one to test if the PSUs are good, someone with a voltage meter, maybe the fuse burnt on the PSU?
Just a thought.
Cheers

I have a dvom at my shop (im a mechanic) and i could check my psu's if you could tell me which of the wires to test. I guess i could watch a youtube video!?? Ive learned so much in the last few days of reading forums and watching youtube!!

jonnyp11

the upgrade sounds good, but they have (at least here) a 2500k/gigabyte combo for 220 after 10 buck mir, and remember with a new mobo comes a new operating system mean ing 100 unless you have a retail version of windows. but the gpu should be fine for a while as long as you don't want to max games at 1080p.

heavy_line_tech

the upgrade sounds good, but they have (at least here) a 2500k/gigabyte combo for 220 after 10 buck mir, and remember with a new mobo comes a new operating system mean ing 100 unless you have a retail version of windows. but the gpu should be fine for a while as long as you don't want to max games at 1080p.

Oh yeah i grabbed their paper today that has the $220 deal and the other 2 combo deals (asus for 245 and the other gigabyte for 270), but i was reading reviews on those boards and people were having booting problems with them. All the bios and booting stuff is way over my head so i didnt understand what they wrote.

Edit: oh yeah, i do have a copy of windows 7. I bought it when my friend upgraded my graphics card. It should still work, right?

Last edited:

CrazyMike

Oh yeah i grabbed their paper today that has the $220 deal and the other 2 combo deals (asus for 245 and the other gigabyte for 270), but i was reading reviews on those boards and people were having booting problems with them. All the bios and booting stuff is way over my head so i didnt understand what they wrote.

Edit: oh yeah, i do have a copy of windows 7. I bought it when my friend upgraded my graphics card. It should still work, right?

who has trouble booting? Asus or Gigabyte? I perfer ASUS, excellent quality.

heavy_line_tech

who has trouble booting? Asus or Gigabyte? I perfer ASUS, excellent quality.

The giga boards. But i just talked to a guy here and he said they were probly messing with overclocking and all the bios settings.

That being said should i go with the $269.98 giga board deal? Its only $50 more