40% cpu usage?

Skydog287

I noticed that my cpu is running around 40%, even when my computer is idle, and I don't have anything running. Tried a clean boot but still hung out in the 40's. Tried a diagnostic boot and it was running around 1-2%.

It seems that svchost.exe seems to be the process that's causing it. One using around 20-22% and another using around 10-12%.

My Specs:
Windows Vista Home Premium
AMD Phenom 9100e Quad-Core Processor
4GB Ram
Radeon HD 4800 Video Card
620GB Hard Drive

Thanks in advance!:cool:

Last edited:

konsole

do a search for that process and learn what it does, maybe you can determine how its constantly using the cpu. Sounds like its constantly doing something in the background.

lion149

If it is to much of a hassle you can always back up your files and do a clean repair/install. That should clear up the issue.

MouSe

svchost does a MULTITUDE of things. Easy way to see what's going on it to do this.

1. Open Task Manager
2. Click on the Processes tab
3. Find "svchost" that is using 20% CPU
4. Right click on said "svchost" and click on "Process Tree"
I'm 95% sure this is accurate, as I'm at work and not on a Vista system.

This will show you what particular things are associated with that "svchost" and you can pick and choose what you want to run with that tree. This could help free up some stuff.

Skydog287

For the svchost.exe thats running at about 20-25% cpu, the services are "PlugPlay" and "DcomLaunch". Which neither will let me stop.

And for the svchost.exe that is running at 10-15%, there's about 12 services running under it.

And finally for the svchost.exe that is running at about 5-10%, the only service running under it is "stisvc". Which I was able to stop running and dropped psu usage to about 30%. However gateway advised that I don't stop that process.

I'm thinking about exchanging the computer for a new one under the 30 day return policy at the place I got it from. It was an open box which saved me about 40 bucks but I don't like the sign that it's having problems only after 8 days...

Dystopia

whats your proc? if its old, that would explain the problem. i have that file running like 3-4 times, but none of them use up very much anything!!

konsole

you probably dont need to return it. There are several instances on the process running on almost everyones computer. I have it listed 10 times. You just need to do a bit of grunt work to figure out how to disable or ease back on its cpu use.

lulumara

Try on Start/command prompt -msconf. then disable that you don't want to run such as yahoo messenger,msn messenger,etc. that's for starting it might go down the cpu % of working or processing.

Skydog287

Problem temporarily fixed!

Turns out after doing some googling that it's some ati driver issue with vista or something with the video card I installed (Radeon HD 4830) that causes this to happen. Seems to happen with a lot of ati cards. This is the solution that fixed my problem till they figure out a hotfix for it:

"I opened the Device Manager and selected the "Device by connection" view. I went looking for "ATI HD 2600XT" entry and it was listed under "PCI Standard PCI to PCI bridge" along with another entry called "High Definition Audio Controller". And sure enough, when I disabled that, the CPU load went back to normal! I wasn't using HD Audio, so this is perfectly acceptable."

Of course I didn't have an ATI HD 2600XT, but I just looked for my HD 4830 instead.

CPU Usage went back to normal right away! Not sure what the high definition audio controller was for.... but my sound works and everything seems fine now.