40% Fragmented

HELP_ME

Hi, My disk doesnt seem to be able to defragment. I've run the windows 7 defrag and Auslogics multiple times each and it keep stopping a short way in. It started at about 45% fragmented, its down to 40% now but it wont go any further. What could be causing this? i ran a chkdsk but it didnt help anything. Ideas?

I am going to be reformatting in the summer sometime once my classes and exams are finished but until then i can't.

Rit

I am going to be reformatting in the summer sometime once my classes and exams are finished but until then i can't.

Try running defraggler, and if that doesn't work then don't sweat it since you're doing the reformat.

Counter Bida

Try running defraggler, and if that doesn't work then don't sweat it since you're doing the reformat.
But I have download Defraggler before and it bring some viruses on my system.
What do you think is the reason for that to happen?

Rit

But I have download Defraggler before and it bring some viruses on my system.
What do you think is the reason for that to happen?

You might have downloaded from from another site other than piriform's site or other reputable sites. Or you got a virus from doing other things. I've been using CCcleaner, Defraggler, and Speccy for a year or so now and never had any viruses.

leonidas

Incomplete defragmentation could be due to fragmented system files (MFT, pagefile etc). The windows defragger, auslogics etc (the free utilities) cannot defrag systems files afaik.

You can download the free trial version of a commercial defrag utility to get your job done until the reformat. I use Diskeeper 2010 Pro (paid version) and it also has a fully working one month free trial version at the website, so you can try it. It defrags everything without a hitch; just put it in auto defrag, and you can also run a boot-time defrag if required.