$400 home theater.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Hey guys, my parents wants to buy a nice sound system for the max price of $400, ofcourse it can be cheaper, just no more than 400. Soo what kind of home theater system would pump out quality sound for no more than $400?

Thanks

th3ha1og0d

For a 400 dollar price range you'd typically only be able to get Home theatre systems in a box. They're not super high end but if you know where to look you can get a good one. I've seen both Bestbuy and Futureshop sell great HTIB's, my dad got one from BB and my friend got a similar one.

Look for a setup that includes at least a 5.1 system (5 speakers + 1 subwoofer making for 6 total speakers). Make sure the subwoofer is at least 100 watts in continuous power (don't be tricked by peak power ratings that can only be sustained for short amounts of time) and make sure that total system power is no lower than 600 watts, but preferably more. With that budget you shouldn't have a problem though.

Here is a great Samsung system: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8254603&type=product&id=1169512582087

There are plenty more so be sure to shop around a little;)

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Yeah I figured a HTIB would be good but the problem is that alot of them are complete crap. When buying a system, what else should I look for before total watt output (sustained or peak) ohms and THD?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Woah change of plans. Parents want it for listening to music. This is where I get stumped (since I know barely anything about speakers). If say I get a home theater system, would normal CD's be played through all the speakers or just the the front speakers?

More over, would there be any other good setups for music besides home theater? It has to be computer independent cause my parents don't want to put a computer in the living room.

HELP =(

edit: how about this one?
http://www.6ave.com/shop/Product.aspx?sku=ONKHTSR800B

Last edited:

th3ha1og0d

You are right that alot of HTIB's sold these days are complete crap. To avoid getting a piece of crap you should avoid no name brands and stick to the big ones. (Sony, Pioneer, Samsung etc.)

You will not need a computer period as long as you have the reciever and cd/dvd player (I assume they will be using CD's to play their music?) Nothing to worry about right now because most HTIB's come with everything you need, including a cd/dvd player unit.

One thing to look for in quality speakers is that they are 2 way, meaning that there will be a tweeter and a midrange/woofer built into the tower of the speaker so that you can have clear crisp highs and lower range sound as well.
Some cheaper ones sacrifice a tweeter which still may offer OK sound but may not offer crisper highs.

To answer your question about the music playing you can choose modes on the receiver to different styles. For example, our Pioneer HTIB came with a neat reciever so it has options for music, games, movies, etc. and you just set the option and it will take care of it. Whether the music plays as 2.1 or utilizes rear speakers as well it will not matter because in a good system the 2 front speakers and sub will be more than enough for listening to music.

So basically look look for a system that includes a CD/DVD player so that your parents can play all of their music CD's without the need for a computer. IMO it makes sense to go for the HTIB because you get everything that you need with it (some do not come with all the hookup wires though). I don't know how your parents store their music, whether it be on CD's or some other way but it may be good for you to know that quality receivers will have many A/V inputs so that you can connect MP3 players, Ipods, Cd players, basically any external device to your liking. Also some of the newer systems come with USB ports on the front so you can play music off of a memory stick.

To sum it up look for a name brand product with high continuous wattage and 2 way speakers with lots of different types of inputs.

EDIT: The Onkyo system looks excellent, Onkyo is well known for their high quality HTIB's although it does not look like it includes a CD or DVD player (am I wrong?) Either way I'm sure it would be easy enough to get one and add it to the setup.

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
The only thing I'm worried about is the size of the speakers in the Onkya system. The front speakers are 17" tall! That's pretty big for my room. Also, can all receivers make stereo CD's into 5.1 or 7.1?

th3ha1og0d

There will be settings for you to choose how you want the sound to be output. So it will upscale to 5.1 or 7.1 if you choose. (Meaning you will hear sound from all speakers). Also maybe look into a more compact version if they are to big, I'm sure they do have some.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Well I looked around and almost all the high wattage speakers in my price range are HUGE. There are some of them that has integrated receiver/DVD player but I want to find an independent receiver.

Impulse666

The only thing I'm worried about is the size of the speakers in the Onkya system. The front speakers are 17" tall! That's pretty big for my room. Also, can all receivers make stereo CD's into 5.1 or 7.1?

My Scott floor speakers are 37" tall. 17" are bookshelf speakers, and I wouldnt go with anything smaller. Smaller speakers often give you a tinny sound and lack even a decent midrange. That Onkyo system looks good for your price range. Probably as good as it gets.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
My Scott floor speakers are 37" tall. 17" are bookshelf speakers, and I wouldnt go with anything smaller. Smaller speakers often give you a tinny sound and lack even a decent midrange. That Onkyo system looks good for your price range. Probably as good as it gets.

Yeah but we don't have much space in the living room, and the speakers will really stand out from everything else. Can anyone recommend a mid size home theater package.