430 watt power supply

PC eye

banned
Under powered! is the key word there. The newer 8000 series cards look for a 450w minimum if you are planning any gaming or mulmedia playback. The supply seen listed in your sig however would be more then adequate. You would have to run only the basics to avoid problems with no ocing or heavy demand for graphics to slide by with anything less then their recommended wattage minimum.

Cleric7x9

430 watts is plenty for that system assuming you dont have fifty harddrives or tons of lights or anything. it also depends on what company, can it deliver 430 watts of power constantly?

Kesava

the 8600GT requires a minimum 300 watt psu.

so 430 is more then enough. even the much better 8800 GT only needs 400 watts. so your safe in that way... only problem could be the quality of the psu...

PC eye

banned
What else besides the cpu, memory, and video card will be going into it? The Asus wattage calculator shows 400w or a little more for the build here while no 400w supply would see 6 sata power connectors or the additional molex type for the Antec 900's four 12v case fans. http://support.asus.com/PowerSupplyCalculator/PSCalculator.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Gee? I'm glad I went with the OCZ 700w model for the two optical and three(1 ide) hard drives installed along with the case fans. You first have to know what will be going into a build so those things can be accomidated for. The small supplies too often lack the additional connectors you need.

ceewi1

VIP Member
430W is plenty of power for a system like that, provided of course it is realistically rated.

twitchtwice

Well its an antec, it was something sitting in my old computer and i was going to give it to him so he wouldnt have to waste his money on it. Its quite old, so i told him if he's going to get a new pc he may as well go with a new psu as well

so i told him to go with the 600 watt version of mine for future proof and reliability

PC eye

banned
430W is plenty of power for a system like that, provided of course it is realistically rated.

With good regulation! I slapped the TP2 430 back in one old case here being a bit over 4yrs. old and it worked out quite well. Some of the older small wattage models actually saw some of the best regulation on those over the long list of cheapies claiming 500w or more!

oscaryu1

VIP Member
As long as it's a QUALITY unit and not a PSU from a POWMAX case (or such) or a eBay unit, it's plenty.

so 430 is more then enough. even the much better 8800 GT only needs 400 watts. so your safe in that way... only problem could be the quality of the psu...

I wouldn't be suprised if a 8800GT ran fine on it.

PC eye

banned
As long as it's a QUALITY unit and not a PSU from a POWMAX case (or such) or a eBay unit, it's plenty.

I wouldn't be suprised if a 8800GT ran fine on it.

MSI points to 400w minimum for the GT while 450+ for the 8800GTS models. For SLI or Crossfire then you start looking at 600-700w as a start.

PC eye

banned
While the basics are covered you wouldn't be leaving any room for later expansion if you decide to add drives/devices. For the current build here while now seeing a few changes the basic wattages compete with the need for power connections. The idea of going a little higher then what is needed is to cover things when the demand for power increases and you don't end up under what is minimum.