4GB vs 2GB

liquidshadow

Should I rather get 4GB of DDR2-800 RAM or 2GB of DDR2-800 RAM?
The 4GB will be $280 w/ 5-5-5-15 timings with average overclocking, maybe to DDR2-900.
The 2GB will be $210 w/ 4-4-4-12 timings but great overclocking potential, going over DDR2-1000 most likely.

ducis

get 2gbs of good quality ram and latter upgrade to 2 gigs but right no you wont see much of a difference

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I'm running 2GB without a swap file and having no problems. This includes running Trillian, games, Photoshop, and Firefox all at the same time! I'm pretty sure you'd be much better off with faster RAM than more RAM...

intelfanboy88

In most applications of a computer 4 GB of Ram is not a useful thing. It sounds impressive as hell, but what everyone is saying is true - Quality over quantity. I am running 2 GB in Vista and, while Vista DOES utilize more Ram, still have not used more than 65% of my system memory. This includes when I am listening to music, playing games (HL2, WarRock, etc) with open internet browser, just tons of stuff. Hope this helps

liquidshadow

Both are good quality. The 4GB is 5-5-5-15 compared to 4-4-4-12. But I could lower the timings.
I'm going to be running Vista Ultimate and I won't be upgrading this for a couple years, which is why I am considering 4GB.

I just want to hear some opinions.
And they're both the same stock speed...

Kornowski

VIP Member
If you don't notice that much of a difference from 1GB to 2GB, I doubt you'd notice a difference from 2GB to 4GB.

2GB is more than enough for today's things! Why do you need 4GB, what do you do?

I'd save your money!

madtownidiot

you'll notice a difference if you like to have a dozen apps sitting on the system tray while you play doom3 and watch a dvd at the same time

intelfanboy88

you'll notice a difference if you like to have a dozen apps sitting on the system tray while you play doom3 and watch a dvd at the same time

At that point you have to be on a quest to use up all RAM possible! How do you yourself take in that many different tasks and stimuli at once?

madtownidiot

When my girlfriend starts b*tching about me playing games, I put a dvd in for her to watch and then I can ignore her for another hour or so.:D
I've said this in another post, but if you have the memory, your computer will find a way to use it. After I upgraded to 4gb, it became typical for my system to have about 800-1200 mb available, even though it worked fine with 2gb of memory, usually when I play a dvd that I "borrowed" and is now on my HDD

Last edited: