4k PC SETUP

EdLife

Greetings peeps,

I have some questions to those who have more knowledge than me. I'd like to build a pc (my first one yet) that can run a 4k monitor. At the moment I have a laptop connected to a external 32'' sony tv. I don't necessarily game at all but I'd like to set-up a pc that is capable of gaming/productivity.

Mostly I just play online poker for many hours a day. Those are basically the only requirements (not really taxing).

If anyone could give me a breakdown of what I should buy I'd really appreciate it.

Looking to spend no more than $1000.

Cheers :cool:

Jiniix

Is the $1000 incl. a 4K monitor?
If you don't intend to game, it can be done quite cheaply. Recently built two workstations for dual 4K monitors with no dedicated graphics card.

EdLife

I really don't have much knowledge when I comes to pc building. I know most of the basics but a fair novice. Just looking for someone to guide me in the right direction.

There are so many build online it gets a bit confusing. Don't want to go online and purchase stuff that isn't compatible. Also, something which would be capable of upgrading in the future would be great.

EdLife

All I basically want is someone with all-encompassing knowledge can give me a breakdown of what I should buy as a workstation with the ability to play games. I have $1k to spend on the build itself. If an efficient system can be build for less, I'm open for suggestions.

C4C

Here's my thoughts on a 4K build. It'll run the monitor, and game in 4K (maybe not too well for newer titles), but it'll get the job done.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6Dgjgs

Originally I had the R9 290 on this list.. Very powerful card..

EdLife

Do you think I should go with the 290 or 280?

Also, Possibly add a ssd to the picuture.

I'll do some research on the list. Thanks a million

tylerjrb

Depends really what games you want to play. A 4k monitor for general usage then it doesn't need much power. Gaming is a different story, for high end games you ideally want 2x gtx 970 or 980. Or 2x r9 290x. A 280x would do low end games on 4k but it's really a 1080p card for high end games, bf4, crysis, witcher etc, shadow of mordor etc.

For low end games and general usage a low end card that can support 4k will be fine. For online poker etc it won't need or use much Gpu power even on 4k.

Last edited:

EdLife

I don't really play any games but my girlfriend is quite into it. For that purpose I'd like to have a system to match.

By the sound of things a 280x would be the best bet then. Don't think I need to go all out.

Thanks for the info guys will order that setup tomorrow.

tylerjrb

Any games like cod, battlefield, bio shock, gta etc a 280x won't even come close. You'd find you will lower the ingame resolution which on a 4k screen will look terrible and be pointless costs. If you don't you will be lucky to get 30fps on those types of games, it will struggle 60fps on some games 1080p. A 4k machine at 60fps isn't cheap.