5.1 Speaker and Sound Card (Beginner's Question)

farazaraf

Please excuse my n00bish question, but I've tried searching almost every resource site on the internet. I'm considering buying these speakers but I'm unsure as to whether they'd work on my PC. I've had a look at this tutorial but still need some help. On the second linked page there are two configurations and my one best resembles the lower image. There are three jacks on my PC: a green, blue and pink one. In the XP Control Panel, I can change these to 'Front Speaker Out', 'Rear Speaker Out' and Central/Subwoofer Speaker Out', as suggested by the site. Does this mean I'll be getting surround sound or do I need to purchase a new sound card?

ezefosure

I don't think you would be getting ACTUAL surround sound. I think the right and left channels would just be stretched so that the things coming out of the front right speaker just comes out of the right back speaker as well.
I used to have a 4.1 setup, thats what happened.

I'm almost positive that you would need a new sound card. However, I can't recommend which one or how to set it up.

farazaraf

But would it work if I used the integrated card? The speakers have three input leads and my computer, with 'line in' and 'mic in' changed, have three inputs too.

Impr3ssiv3

well im thinking that your sound card is crappy and cant support 5.1(which the speakers are) so i would get like a Soundblaster Live or the Audigy2 ZS which is only $64 on newegg

WeatherMan

But would it work if I used the integrated card? The speakers have three input leads and my computer, with 'line in' and 'mic in' changed, have three inputs too.

Im not sure but, what you are saying there about having a mic and line in connection on the back of your board, you will not be able to turn them lines into output channels for your speakers.

2 of them are input only and the 1 output is for 2.1 Channel max.

If you want to be able to use your speakers you will need to purchase a 5.1 Channel sound card.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy

Only 1 of your 3 audio jacks is output, the green one. The pink one is mic and blue is line in. A 5.1 sound card would have 5 jacks on it, line in, mic, 3 jacks for speakers (1 for every 2 channels)