(5.1 system) Why 3 cables if only 1 works?

boogyman19946

My logitech 5.1 speakers (I'm not sure what model they are) have 3 stereo cables going out of the subby that should plug into the sound card. Now, my motherboard (Abit AW9D-Max), doesn't have a built in sound card, but it comes with a 7.1 capable card (Realtek something) the plugs in into a special inverted port where only that card will fit (what the purpose of that is has boggled my mind since I bought it. I guess they ran out of space on the mobo). I imagine this setup is standard as my sister's speakers also have 3 cables.

I've noticed some 2 years ago or so (I've been way to lazy to care about it as long as my speakers produced sound) that not all of the speakers work. Only the left and the right speakers work, unless I press the matrix button which will mix the input internally to span all 5.1 speakers. I've also noticed that the 2 cables besides the main one don't really do anything or at least nothing that I could notice missing. I could never get the speakers to produce any kind of 5.1 sound ever. It didn't matter if I played a 2.1, 5.1, or a 7.1 movie, the speakers always played in 2.1 mode. I now use Linux with generic drivers but before I've used Windows XP with the drivers provided on the CD with the motherboard and the same thing resulted.

Can anyone help me figure out what the other 2 cables actually do? The main cable, if I touch it to something metal it makes a buzzing sound, but the other two don't even do that.

Hsv_Man

If you plugged all 3 speaker cables into the motherboard sound card they should be working make sure you download the latest drivers for your Soundcard and go into the audio program and make sure you have it set to "5.1" instead of "2.1".