512mb or 486mb of Ram ?

seecor

Hi i just brought a brand new desktop yesterday
and i clearly states on the box that it has 512 MB RAM
but it is only reading 486 ?
it also says it is expandable to 2gigs
but i cant open her up because it will break waranty

any reasons why its only reading 486 mb ?
thanks

Gareth

The Integrated Graphics will take a part of your systems memory, and use it for video. Id recommend upgrading to 1.5GB ~ 2GB, especially if you are considering Vista.

ScOuT

VIP Member
You can open it up and put in RAM, it won't hurt it at all. And worse case....if something does go wrong in the future, just drop the old RAM in and take it back:)

2048Megabytes

I would call the company in charge of the warranty. Tell them you want to add more RAM to your computer and ask them if it will void the warranty if you add more memory to your system.

KJS

At this day and age you still are buying 512mb of Ram? I lowest RAM I see in prebuilts from Best Buy are at least 1GB. I'm running 512mb Ram, and I got my prebuilt almost 3 years ago, and it won't do anything for you now.

Ya dont worry about the warranty. I had an Emachines for my first computer. I opened it up and put RAM and stuff in didnt void my warranty. I would guess that your not running Vista with 512MB.

scooter

banned
So long as the new computer was 100 bucks or less...then I guess its not a bad deal....

My personal opinion is to buy a real 'brand new computer', one with 2GB right from the store, plus real graphics, and a bunch of stuff inside that wasn't old 5 years ago...

Cleric7x9

If you live in the US it would be illegal for them to void your warranty for you adding RAM. It's called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

R41Z3N

I think you may have the same type of warranty as me, I have stickers covering the screws on the back and can't pull them off cause they tear to easily, I have to take it to the store I bought it from to have any upgrades done. Its crap but I am also glad that I kept it cause I had faulty RAM and other small problems that I would have had to pay for other wise...