5G ready smartphone

peter912

If I buy a cheaper smartphone, that is not 5G ready, does that mean that once 5G comes that these other smartphones will no longer work ? Why is there such a huge price difference that ranges from $100 to $3000 for a smartphone ? What is a good price to pay if you don't want the cheapest but don't need to get the most expensive either ?

beers

Staff member
LTE will be around for a while, 5G is already out and used. 3G is about to be decommissioned, I think AT&T is shutting it off today, so those devices/radios will no longer negotiate, but you have a while if you want to specifically avoid a 5G device.

peter912

LTE will be around for a while, 5G is already out and used. 3G is about to be decommissioned, I think AT&T is shutting it off today, so those devices/radios will no longer negotiate, but you have a while if you want to specifically avoid a 5G device.
I have 3G, so eventually I will need to get a new phone ? Mine is a Motoe4 phone and the service provider is SpeakOut, which runs on the Rogers network here in Canada.

beers

Staff member
Moto E4 supports LTE, although Rogers is supposed to sunset 3G in December 2025 according to this article