64 bit windows 7

sicdeath

I currently have intel i7 870; is this a 64 bit processor? If so, should I upgrade my windows to 64 bit? I have 4 gb of ram (3.18 usable) and plan on adding another 4 gb for a total of 8. I heard 64 bit has compatibility issues, please let me know.

AlienMenace

Yes it is a 64 bit cpu, as of compatibility issue. 64 bit can not run 16 bit programs. Only 32 and 64 bit programs. Like old DOS games. The compatibility issue is pretty far in between now. The OS that had the compatibility issue, was Windows xp pro x64. It came out way before it's time and software and hardware companies wouldn't get together on it. Not till Vista showed up that you start see more x64 bit programs.
But, yes. I would switch to x64 bit. If your motherboard max. out to 8gb. I would suggest the Windows home premium x64.

Geoff

VIP Member
Yes it's a 64 bit processor, and I would recommend upgrading your OS, especially if you plan to upgrade over 4GB.

claptonman

If you have windows 7, you can just installed 64-bit and use the same key. The key isn't tied to the 32-bit only.

strollin

One cautionary note is that you can't upgrade Win 7 from 32-bit to 64-bit, it will require a clean install. Just make sure you have your data backed up and your install disks ready to re-install all your apps.