64-bit work for 32-bit?

ChrJohnson02

I have a dell Dimension 2400 with PCI slots, Now I have heard PCI slots are only 32-bit slots will a POWERCOLOR 24PRO256M PCI Radeon HD 2400PRO 256MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI HDCP Ready Video Card work in the PCI slots on my Dimension 2400? The current on board graphics card is 32 mb, not great for gaming. Or if there are any cards that will work with games that are 3d graphics such a the Multiplayer Second Life game please let me know for my PC thanks.

mx344

Yes, it will work, the 64bit is refering to the bit interface on the card.
If im wrong some1 tell me, im almost possitive im right.

BUT: The pci graphics cards are not very good at all, it is very slow at transfering the info, unlike pciexpress.

Last edited:

mtb211

i agree with mx, but I am not an expert. Maybe im slow, IM still learning but pci is inferier to pci expres for sure

Take Care

Matt

ps. Any issues write me an email to [email protected]

Cheers

bomberboysk

The 2400 will still provide somewhat of an upgrade to the integrated extreme graphics of the dimension 2400 even on pci, yes pci-e is vastly superior, but it will work. And yes you can use a 64bit graphics card on a 32bit system, as mx344 stated it is referring to the memory bus width on the graphics card.;)

ChrJohnson02

Sounds good guys, thanks a lot for the help. and I don't have any pci-e slots, therefore I can't use one. but thanks for the info