64Bit Processors

Lord Kalthorn

64-bit Processors are not physically faster - the advantage is that they can load up more numbers per cycle and can read that many more. This is good for future games, videos, and OSs (Windows already has a Basic Beta Build 64-bit System). 64-bit is the future and it will lead to future proofing of the computer if you buy AMD64 now even if you like Intel. Soon you won't be able to use anything but a 64-bit with the newest systems.

A less useless advantage is the fact that you can use about a Billion times the top level of RAM. Instead of 4GB which you can use on a 32bit Processor, on a 54bit Processor you can use 18,446,744,073GB - a level of RAM which doesn't exist in all the world yet!

32-bit = 10^4,294,967,296

64-bit = 18,446,744,073,709,551,616

Christopher

VIP Member
Sweet :cool: When are the 128Bit processors coming? ;p Would it be wise to jump on the wagon now and buy a 64bit processor or should I wait for the market to mature a bit (no pun intended ;))?

Lord Kalthorn

Lol! On the opterons they use two 64-bit channels essentially becoming 128-bit in the processors but that is only on the communication. I can't imagine the 128-bit processors coming out soon.

Yeah - its what I did; gives a nice futureproofing on the Processor which could not be made certain with an Intel. Shame really!

peacenlove

I have 2 computers.. the old computer I'm concerned bec it only has 24 MB of ram I went to the BIOS and it doesnt show the cpu speed. I wanted to overclock it a bit but I have to find out the cpu speed first. Do u know?

Christian Darrall

go to system propeties in windows

oh and its up 2 u if ya wanna stay on top of the game with procecors buy one now from ebay but if u aint bothered then get the fastest 1 possible a p4 or a sempron

bigsaucybob

peacenlove said:
I have 2 computers.. the old computer I'm concerned bec it only has 24 MB of ram I went to the BIOS and it doesnt show the cpu speed. I wanted to overclock it a bit but I have to find out the cpu speed first. Do u know?

Dont just hijack this thread. its mean.