$65 xfi or $28 audigy se

Jet

VIP Member
I would spring the extra for an X-Fi. It might not sound too much different, but if you value quality, then it's worth it.

Archangel

VIP Member
let me ask you one thing.. what speakers will you hook up to it?
If you hook up generic speakers.. get the audigy,.. it will completely make no difference to the sound quality.
If you have some really nice speakers.. then I would suggest the X-fi, since a difference would be noticable.

bratton

the newegg reviews for the xfi complained about inability to relieve stress on other hardware as well as incompatibility with nforce4 motherboards, which are both particularly important, especially since i have an nf4. So I assumed the audigy4 (according to its reviews, of course) would be better.

In the near future I'll be getting a semi-nice 5.1 system instead of the 2.1 I have now. Right now though I'm going to be getting a somewhat nice set of headphones which I thought would still be affected by a better sound card?

Jet

VIP Member
the newegg reviews for the xfi complained about inability to relieve stress on other hardware as well as incompatibility with nforce4 motherboards, which are both particularly important, especially since i have an nf4. So I assumed the audigy4 (according to its reviews, of course) would be better.

Don't follow newegg's reviews all the time. It is best to search google for a professional review, and then base it off of that.

In the near future I'll be getting a semi-nice 5.1 system instead of the 2.1 I have now. Right now though I'm going to be getting a somewhat nice set of headphones which I thought would still be affected by a better sound card?

Most likely.

Archangel

VIP Member
I have the Audigy 4 atm, and works great, and also sounds great. (I have them hooked up to Infinity speakers through an tube Amp. pretty good speakers imo) and i do like the sound of it. I would go for an audigy card tbh.

bratton

well, i googled around about the xfi and it does turn out that there is incompatibility with nforce4 boards, but supposedly that was/is being fixed... although i cant find any conclusion on whether or not it has been fixed.

so.. i really dont know what to do. risk the xfi? or a step down with the audigy?

Archangel

VIP Member
Like I asked before.. what speakers are you hooking up to them?

but tbh, i think the audigy is more than enough.

Archangel

VIP Member
those are ok-ish speakers :) ( some say they have great sound,. but ah well, maybe im just spoiled :eek: )

like said, i have the audigy 4, and I'm verry happy with it :)

ROJ

I apologize, bratton, for adding another question to your thread, but I have also been considering the two sound cards you original asked about. I could also use some advice.

I am getting Swan M-200 speakers and I am trying to figure out which sound card to best pair them with. I am only interested in listening to music. I was thinking about the Audigy SE or the entry level X-fi card. The X-fi looks promising, but I became concerned when I read that it makes things sound better than the original recording. I don't want the music to sound artifical. How do the Audigy SE and X-fi sound for for listening to music? Are there other sound cards that I should consider that match well the Swan M-200s?

Thanks.

-ROJ

Archangel

VIP Member
the x-fi has more options than the audigy,.. you can disable those, i think they call them crystalizers.. thats what's making the sound sound 'better' :)