700w PSU good enough for 9800gx2?!

D3R1K93

^ i know there other threads about this, but i just wanted to know. if you dont mind looking at my signature and telling me what you think on if it will work. please reply only if you are running a 9800gx2 and like a 700w psu. on the EVGA website, it says at least 580w. but i'm going to be running 4 gb DDR3 ram, 45 nm q9450 (both that i believe use less power than the DDR2 and 65 nm.) zalman 9700, and antec 900 (supposely a lot of fans dont use a lot of power [thank god!]). if anyone could reasure me. thanks to people who can.

oregon

what's that thing in the sig about rice grains of arctic silver? are you supposed to use more or less?

oregon

can you put on too much? last time i put some on i noticed that it had only spread about 2/3 of the processor. can you just put on extra to prevent this, or is that bad?

Interested

loll....that quote "helllllll no" was by me. I refered derik to the forums, it was a joke, he wasn't serious. we were talking on aim and he said psu instead of cpu. I though he was serious so i said hellllllll no...lol..

oscaryu1

VIP Member
can you put on too much? last time i put some on i noticed that it had only spread about 2/3 of the processor. can you just put on extra to prevent this, or is that bad?

Yes you can. The extra SHOULD get squeezed out, but that could always drip onto two connections... *zap* Probably not... but just put the correct amount the next time you refresh it.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Dual core - Rice sized drop.

Quad core - Line down the middle.

Single/Dual/Quad core makes no difference. The amount you apply (Grain of Rice) is the correct amount to make a layer between the shield and heatsink area, has nothing to do with if its a Single/Dual/Quad core, its the amount of surface you need to cover. The best way in my experience and I,ve done 100s of them is to put a dap the size of a grain of rice and spread it out even with a Credit Card or something hard plastic then apply the heatsink. That way you know you have the correct amount and its covered correct. The line down the middle makes no sence, the compount at the edges will push out (unprofessional) and you have no way of knowing that whats in the middle even spread out right. Very unprofessional and sloppy way of doing it.

KPC84

Single/Dual/Quad core makes no difference. The amount you apply (Grain of Rice) is the correct amount to make a layer between the shield and heatsink area, has nothing to do with if its a Single/Dual/Quad core, its the amount of surface you need to cover. The best way in my experience and I,ve done 100s of them is to put a dap the size of a grain of rice and spread it out even with a Credit Card or something hard plastic then apply the heatsink. That way you know you have the correct amount and its covered correct. The line down the middle makes no sence, the compount at the edges will push out (unprofessional) and you have no way of knowing that whats in the middle even spread out right. Very unprofessional and sloppy way of doing it.

sorry for the thread-jack but do you apply the AS-5 directly on the CPU or on the heatstink?

Geoff

VIP Member
Single core/Dual core - Rice sized dot in the middle of the CPU.

Quad core - Thin line of thermal paste down the middle.
It does NOT matter!

Both single, dual, and quad cores have the same style headspreader. The purpose of thermal compound/paste is to fill in the air pockets in between the heatspreader and heatsink, like shown:

surface_gapsfilled.gif

Using a dot the size of a grain of rice to the size of a small pea is all you need to fill in those gaps. If you add more compound, it will either squeeze out or the layer will be too thick in between the heatspreader and heatsink.

Everyone puts on thermal compound their own way, some just do a dot in the center, some spread it out across the heatspreader manually, and some may make small dots. Making a line is also acceptable, however my point is that the technique does not matter at all if it's a single core or quad core.