754 to 939 o/c mobo

magicman

VIP Member
I'm getting ready to move from my current setup to an AMD Opteron 144 CABNE, and am looking for a good motherboard that will support the overclocking that I will definately be doing.

Is there any difference between MSI's "K8T Neo FIS2R" and the "K8T Neo2-FIR" apart from the socket #? What I really mean is if I just switched from one to the other, are all the drivers etc the same, and would I just need to configure the bios on the new mobo, leaving Windows intact?

Also would anyone recommend any other good, but cheap, overclocking mobo's that supports my current system excluding cpu? I would need an AGP board by the way.

Cheers for any suggestions.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Is there any difference between MSI's "K8T Neo FIS2R" and the "K8T Neo2-FIR" apart from the socket #? What I really mean is if I just switched from one to the other, are all the drivers etc the same, and would I just need to configure the bios on the new mobo, leaving Windows intact?
Well if you're switching sockets, that might be a drastic enough change to warrant a reinstall but you'd have to see... since they same chipsets you should be ok

Also would anyone recommend any other good, but cheap, overclocking mobo's that supports my current system excluding cpu? I would need an AGP board by the way.
Hands down MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to help, if you plan on getting the Opty to play ball on that (with OCing), do yer research ... i dont get to play with my Opty's too much (and they are on a server940 board) so i dont know them nearly as well nor their anomallies and such