780i MB and 64 bit vista

Scubie67

I was just reading some of the reviews from newegg on both the Evga and XFX 780i motherboards and several people stated that they are are not compatible with the 64 bit vista.As I was wanting to build a 64 bit vista Os computer for use with Dx10 when Aoc comes out this caught me off guard.Is this true?

f.i.t.h

I'm not sure it this is true but you don't need 64 bit vista for DX10
32 Bit vista will run all(?) DX10 games.

Scubie67

Hmm ...I am not sure as I am new to comp building but it seems like I read somewhere that you need 64 bit and at least 3 Gb ram to utilize Dx10 maybe I missread .Does anyone else know for sure?

f.i.t.h

You need a 64 bit OS to utilize over around 3.25 GB Ram and to take advantage of a 64 Bit Processor.

Games on Vista tend to have higher system requirements then XP, but needing 64 bit and at least 3Gb ram, I don't think so.

lovely?

2GB of ram works just fine, 3GB is completely unnecessary in games as of yet. (except in the most extreme circumstances) and yes 32bit vista can play all DX10 just as well as 64bit and to my knowledge there is no known problem with 780i and 32bit vista.

Deathrow

There is an issue but boot with 1GB of ram, install Vista SP1 and then put the rest of your ram in :)

Geoff

VIP Member
Any version of Vista is DX10 capable.

2GB of ram works just fine, 3GB is completely unnecessary in games as of yet. (except in the most extreme circumstances) and yes 32bit vista can play all DX10 just as well as 64bit and to my knowledge there is no known problem with 780i and 32bit vista.
In XP, I'd say yes. However in Vista having 3GB of RAM over 2GB can have an improvement, especially if you have a lot of processes running in the background.

Timo

What are you planning to do, run benchmarks while playing a game xD

Really Vista 32Bit is good enough, it will use about 3.2Gb of ram then and for the rest; you will hardly notice a difference.

Geoff

VIP Member
What are you planning to do, run benchmarks while playing a game xD

Really Vista 32Bit is good enough, it will use about 3.2Gb of ram then and for the rest; you will hardly notice a difference.
However if you are purchasing a new OS, why would you go with the 32 bit version that is already very close to it's limits (in terms of RAM), when you can go with the 64 bit version that offers improved performance in future apps, as well as being able to support more memory?

KPC84

[-0MEGA-];963256 said:
However if you are purchasing a new OS, why would you go with the 32 bit version that is already very close to it's limits (in terms of RAM), when you can go with the 64 bit version that offers improved performance in future apps, as well as being able to support more memory?

exactly. couldn't have said it better myself.

And evga 780i and 790i ultra sli's work perfectly with vista 64.

don't listen to reviews on newegg. most of the time the people that are doing the reviews don't even own the product in the first place. so, what good is their opinion.

evga 790i ultra sli and vista 64 FTW!