8.1 onboard sound

jazzband4ever

hey,

my new asus a8n board has 8.1 onboard sound, does that it can have an 8.1 system hooked to it, and do they even make 8.1 speaker systems? I have only seen 7.1 and i was thinking about getting the new creative 700W system, but then someone said i have 8.1 onboard sound and should get an 8.1 system, do they know what they are talking about? lol. thanks for any help given.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
ASUS Website said:
Realtek ALC850, 8-channel CODEC
Audio Sensing and Enumeration Technology
Coaxial/Optical S/PDIF out ports on back IO/
ASUS Website said:
AI Audio (8-channel Audio)
The A8N has 8 channel audio. Not 8.1 sound :)

Yeti

VIP Member
Basically, 8 channel audio is a 6.1 or 7.1 speaker setup.
Well its a 7.1 channel setup isn't it? Then they're backwards compatible to allow for every other setup below that.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Yeti said:
Well its a 7.1 channel setup isn't it? Then they're backwards compatible to allow for every other setup below that.

well yeah... hmmm dunno why I added the 6.1.... 7 channel audio is 6.1

edit:

I think the reason for my previous post was because a few of the receivers I have owned skipped 7 channel... so it went from 6 channel to 8 channel.. which means you used 8 channel even when you setup was 6.1 ..dunno if 7 channel was even that popular...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
In theory yes. Im sure theres someone out there "clever" enough not to provide that backwards support tho