8800gts or GTX

Hey fellas I need some feedback as to which one should I get. An 8800 GTS OC2 OVERCLOCKED, 580MHz core clock, Shader Clock: 1350MHz , Memory Clock: 1700MHz is going for $520 Canadian. 640MB

A BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC nVidia GeForce 8800GTX Chipset 600MHz core Clock shader clock: 1400MHz, memory clock: 1800MHz for $743 Canadian. 768MB.

The only REAl difference I see is 640MB vs 768MB. The clocks are VERY close. I dont know how much of a difference will there be in terms of gaming performance. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

jsquid526

yes it doesnt seem worth the $220 more for a 50mhz increase in shader clock but the memory clock is a lot faster on the gtx but definatly not 200 dollars worth more, my vote is towards the gts

Geoff

VIP Member
yes it doesnt seem worth the $220 more for a 50mhz increase in shader clock but the memory clock is a lot faster on the gtx but definatly not 200 dollars worth more, my vote is towards the gts

The clocks have almsot nothing to do with the differences between the two!

The 8800GTS has 96 stream processors, 24 pipelines, and 20 raster ops.
The 8800GTX has 128 stream processors, 32 pipelines, and 24 raster ops.

And also, the 8800GTS performs 48000 Shader Ops/sec, while the GTX performs 73600 Ops/sec.

Hass

Depends if you can spend the money better elsewhere.
IE, faster cpu, mainboard, ram.. etc...

cryption

i don't think it's worth it, you can easily overclock it with the omega drivers and spend the extra money on more ram

Does the user have the ability to OC that card?

If possible, I would just do it myself, instead of paying someone $200 to do something I can do in less than in an hour.

cryption

i don't use e-bay. At newegg prices, no you can OC a GTS and get similar results

with omega drivers you can OC practically any card

Omega Drivers, what's this? Let me guess they won't work with Vista? When I get my new rig, I am just gonna run XP, no compatibility issues:)

lovely?

nonono get the gtx. that has more performance per dollar then the gts could dream for...

then, as the gts is stopped at gtx speeds, you OC the gtx and blow the gts out of the watta...

Geoff

VIP Member
The only real difference between Omega and ATI drivers are that with the Omega ones, you can tweak more of the 3D and 2D settings. Some people say they have better performance, but its most likely because they lowered the texture quality and didnt realize it. It can be done with the ATI drivers, but you cant tweak as many options.

XPSMan159

ya just get the gts don't waste another 200 for something just a little better. There both top of the line cards and should be fine