~$900 budget. Building 1st Desktop. Pleading for some advice before BF/CM sales end.

nickmoNW

Sorry for the length of this post, but I broke it up so that a quick skim could suffice. I wanted to make everything as clear as possible though so that my purpose was understood.

EDIT: A piece-by-piece construction over the next month+ would work. If there are any parts that are a steal to buy right now I want to get them, if there are any pre-built PC's that are a steal, the same. But otherwise I can wait a bit for some better prices on certain parts.
Info/What I want:
I've spent the last two days perusing forum after forum and countless webpages in the attempt to get the best deal possible during this Black Friday (and possibly Cyber Monday) sale period.

After becoming repeatedly frusterated at the plethora of computer parts available, I decided that it was time to ask directly for help.

I have a laptop, but want to take advantage of the sales right now to go for a desktop that has longevity; future-proofing is a must, thus being able to upgrade individual parts is what swayed me.

I would like to game. When I have a few hours downtime and want to take a break from dorm-mates I'd like to be able to sit down and play games like Portal 2, Assassin's Creed Rev., Metro 2033, and Skyrim at high settings (1080p if possible as well), and wish for something that 3-4 years down the road can 720p most games at high or medium/high (assuming that it's possible...). Metro 2033 is kind of the benchmark I'm looking at, as it's quite intensive graphically. Online gaming will not happen, so silky-smooth 60 FPS will only be a cherry on the cake; 30-40 FPS is fine for me, so long as it can be expected from the more intense games.

I've mainly been using Tom's Hardware forums and this: http://gamingrig.blogspot.com/ website for reference.

The Build:
Processor: The i5-2500k seems to be heavily recommended right now, so I figured I would want to build a PC around it. Overclocking is not something that I want to do, but I've seen it recommended to go with an overclockable processor as a hedge against becoming outdated, giving the option to overclock later even if I do not plan to do so now.

If there's another chip I should consider, I'm all ears. But, this seems to be the popular choice right now. Unfortunately it's sold out on newegg, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072 . And that was quite the price.

Graphics Card: The HD 6950 and GTX 560 Ti seem to be highly recommended, but I'm wondering if I could get away with a slightly older and cheaper card. This is one of the reasons I felt it wise to ask on a forum, as I'm quite the PC noob when it comes to how they physically work, and so if there's a great deal to be had with an older card, hell yes. Also, those two cards come in an abundance of models by different manufacturers, and I haven't the slightest clue as to whose I should pick.

RAM: Dual-Channeling is popular, and seems to give great performance. The 8Gb (4Gb x2) 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance are massively cheap right now on Amazon, at $56 http://preview.tinyurl.com/bsr8qeu . I've read a lot about matching RAM speed to motherboard, and how the processor speed can be different, and blah-blah-blah, but I'm still confused, so help would be greatly appreciated. This though, seems to be a good choice, but again, that's purely based off of the "Bang for Buck" blog recommendation.

Motherboard: Good god, this is where everything became much too tough to deal with. I was literally up until 5AM last night (or rather, today) trying to find the "right" motherboard to match the above parts, parts which I'm not even 100% sure about. I am so lost on this one. I'm assuming that if I can get all the other parts finalized, then I could get a really solid recommendation for a motherboard that would best fit the build, but I on my own simply cannot figure it out.

Hard Drive: 7200 RPM, looking for 1Tb if possible. Is RAID worth it?

Disk Drives: Cheap and Generic.

Operating System: I have a spare copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.

Power Unit: Another thing that I'm quite unsure of. I just need a solid recommendation that fits my prospective build.

Case: I just looked on Amazon, and the case that I was looking at, http://preview.tinyurl.com/c8oqhl4 , now lost its $60 buck price point. Damn. The reviews were good, it looked decent, and the cooling was said to be great (very important to me as I've had my last computer burn out due to poor ventilation, and do not want to ever repeat that mistake). But, any case that is cheapish, sturdy, and has good cooling would do.

Additional Cooling: http://preview.tinyurl.com/7y4agph was recommended on the blog. I'm not sure if I need it with a case with good cooling, but I'm hoping that members of this forum could help on that.

Additional Protection: Aside from a surge protector, is there anything else I should be looking for?

That seems to be it...

Final Thoughts:
The wildly changing deals have been rather distressing, as good deals fall of the map on a daily basis, making me regret the careful consideration that I've been trying to employ. I would very much like to have a better idea of which PC components to get with the help of this forum, but I would also like to hear what everything thinks about waiting a bit for the prices to fall.

Prices of course will always drop, so no matter what waiting for an additional 6 months would have saved a person some coin. What got me though was all the great deals going on now, like the $200 i5-2500k processor that I missed out on, and I felt like buying now would have cost as much as buying in a few months. Maybe I'm wrong on this; probably. Are there any future sales or cheap time-frames that I should know about? Is Cyber Monday going to offer anywhere near the same deals as Black Friday? And granted, the BF sales were only decent.

If the consensus is for me to wait a few months, are there any parts that are so cheap right now that they're worth buying. The Corsair RAM seems extremely cheap, but again, I'm a layman when it comes to PC components.

Also, I was looking at http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ and some of their deals look extremely good, perhaps even cheaper than buying individual components. Has anyone found some great pre-built Desktop deals that I could still get in on? Naturally, my inclination is for the cheaper route of putting one together, but some companies can lower their prices due to bulk, so if they can beat the price...

Finally, thank you to anyone who reads and responds. This is quite the investment, and I have the funds to do it, but I want to be sure I'm optimizing everything and getting the best price/performance ratio possible while still sticking around the $900 range.

Your help is instrumental to this, and I greatly appreciate any and all feedback.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

you might want to check ebay for hdd's, how much memory are you absolutely needing for say 2 months cuz right now the prices are wayy too high everywhere cuz flooding has caused a shortage meaning low supply, high demand, super high prices.

nickmoNW

you might want to check ebay for hdd's, how much memory are you absolutely needing for say 2 months cuz right now the prices are wayy too high everywhere cuz flooding has caused a shortage meaning low supply, high demand, super high prices.

Good to note, so wait for the HDD then? Sounds fine. Are there any parts listed, or ones that I haven't been able to pinpoint a model for yet but that you think are good, that are worth getting right now due to low prices?

I'm thinking I should go on a piece by piece basis in building this sucker.

nickmoNW

Wow, thank you very much for the selection. I have a few questions though based off of them.

First, how much will I be missing out on in getting the i5-2500 vs the "k" unlocked version? As I said, I heard overclocking down the road is a smart idea as the processor becomes more outdated. I know it has a turbo boost, but still, for a $20 dollar premium, is it worth the "k"?

If so, I'd be willing to wait a bit on that.

So, motherboards... The one you're showing costs 175 bucks. I've seen some for 110ish. Where does that extra cash go? Just wondering what the differences are.

Also, when do you expect the price for that graphics card to go down? It's not on sale, so is it worth waiting a few months for?

EDIT: So that tower is going to be good enough cooling-wise? No additional fan?

jonnyp11

the k means that the multiplier is unlocked, meaning it is easy to overclock, the 2500 can only use a fsb method which is both hotter and less stable.

this motherboard is just a high quality one, if you can spend the money it is worth it to get better quality and all.

and the hd6950 might drop like 10 bucks in a few months, not really going to be worth waiting for, i would say wait for the hd7's coming out next month but they normally launch with the lower end cards and later on come the high end ones, so you'd end up waiting 3-6 months, while this card can just about max any and everything out today at 1080p

nickmoNW

the k means that the multiplier is unlocked, meaning it is easy to overclock, the 2500 can only use a fsb method which is both hotter and less stable.

Would you go for the i5-2500k or i5-2500 if you had to choose? The "k" is out of stock on Newegg, but I'm thinking it might be worth it to wait.

Again, I do not plan to overclock initially, as I want to get as much life out of my system as possible, but for a small premium I'm thinking that it might be worth it to get the overclockable version just to have that option down the road.

Thoughts?

jonnyp11

i know micro center was selling them for 150 recently, check if there's one near you and if they have them in stock. i'd wait for it, they'll have them within the week i'd bet, it's funny how 20 off makes them sell out.