$91 for 4.1GHz - Best Deal Ever?

matt3118

Ok, I was looking on this cool site that is about overclocking and I found this article in it.

It is about the Intel Pentium D 805 Dual Core Processor. It is 2.66GHz, but when overclocked, they got it to go 4.3GHz, and 4.1GHz for a stable speed without crashing. Here is a link to the article. It lists the prices of it on the side and it is only $91 on Newegg.
Toms Hardware

Is this the best processor I can get or is there better? It is the greatest deal I have been able to find, but I wanted to see what you guys thought of it. Did Intel come out with a newer version of it yet that overclocks even MORE?

Read all posts before replying please.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Well obviously the Core 2 Duo is better, but the 805 is a decent low-end CPU.

And not everyone can get it to 4Ghz+, so you cant say you'll get it that high for certain.

And that article is really old :)

matt3118

Oh. Didn't see the date on it...

I looked up these so called Core 2 Duos that I've heard so much about and they are going for $181-650. The highest Ghz listed there is 2.66. Is it really worth that much extra money? Intel Core 2 Duo on Newegg

I guess what I'm getting at is- What is the best GHz to price ratio?

goosy22

Oh. Didn't see the date on it...

I looked up these so called Core 2 Duos that I've heard so much about and they are going for $181-650. The highest Ghz listed there is 2.66. Is it really worth that much extra money? Intel Core 2 Duo on Newegg

I guess what I'm getting at is- What is the best GHz to price ratio?

actually the highest is 2.93 Ghz (X6800)... and the highest price one is just shy of $1600 (QX6700)...

and i would suggest buying a C2D if you are getting a new processor...

Last edited:

X24

Once again i have to explain it.

Ghz is begining to have less and less to do with the preformance of a cpu.

the most important thing is the model right now.

C2D>AMDX2>Pentium D

that is how the dual core processors are right now. the ghz. only matters within each group, such as the ghz difference between two different Pentium D processors.

matt3118

Ok, but hypothetically, lets say I want to spend UP TO $200 on a processor. $200 would be good, less is better, anything over that isn't worth it when I'll just replace it in a few years.

Which one offers the best performance (most likely would be used for gaming/game development) AND that stays under a reasonable amount of money? I'm not really interested in arguing over $1000 parts.

matt3118

Nice, thanks man. That looks great. Anyone else got any suggestions? I want to shop around some more before I make up my mind.

goosy22

no prob... and no need to shop around... most here will back me up, or select the E6400 as there choice :p...

matt3118

Ok thanks again. I actually have to go now. I got a paper to type up still... The reviews on it look great and it sounds like it is very reliable. I'm thinking of waiting to see if there is a sale on it, but if there isn't one soon, I'll just go ahead and order it sometime before Christmas.

Now I just have ONE thing to decide- I might need a new motherboard (I'll check tomorrow), and even if I don't, I might get a new one anyways. But that discussion is for a different time, on a different day, on a different thread.

I'll check this thread tomorrow to see if there are any new suggestions, but otherwise, consider my mind very strongly persuaded.

P.S. goosy22, I love the quote in your sig.

Geoff

VIP Member
Ok, but hypothetically, lets say I want to spend UP TO $200 on a processor. $200 would be good, less is better, anything over that isn't worth it when I'll just replace it in a few years.

Which one offers the best performance (most likely would be used for gaming/game development) AND that stays under a reasonable amount of money? I'm not really interested in arguing over $1000 parts.

The E6300 would be the best for <$200.

fade2green514

yep... i mean look at omega hes got his running faster than the x6800 and it cost him less than $200...
i mean aside for all the reselling and losing money that way... and then theres the extremely high end motherboard that cost him $250... lol

anyways the e6300 is plenty of speed even at default clocks... at a minor o/c to 2ghz or more you'd be running fast enough to run any game on highest settings with no problems at all... plus it runs super cool...

core 2 duo, definitely.

if you wanna go for a budget build the 805 is definitely something to look at though...

Jet

VIP Member
With the 805, you will have to look at $50 coolers to cool it and get it to 4.1Ghz, so it woiuld come out to around $140, while the E6300 is only $180 or so. If you don't even count the overclocking potential of the E6300, then the 805 @ 4.1 is still going to be worse than the E6300 @ 1.86.

brinky2006

Get the E6400, I have one, and Highly recomend it.

I use my pc for all sorts from video editing and gaming, and pc lighting control. It works well in my setup.

Adam