A+ Certification

brycematheson712

Currently, I'm working as a Drafter for an Engineering Company. It's a fine job, but it's not really heading in the direction I'd like it to. I'd prefer to do something with Computers. I would like to go and work for a local Computer shop. I'm 16 years old.

I don't have the A+ Certification. I was wondering if it would even help me get a job? If any of you who have this certification would you mind shedding some light for me? What have your experiences in general been after getting the Certification? Was it worth the effort? How difficult was the test? Do people look at you differently with it? How much did it cost? etc.

Thanks!

Shady

<b>VIP Member</b>
I don't think it's worth the money you will pay for the exam (assuming you are gonna study the material by youself)... If you are really into computers and want a career in the IT field... aim higher

Let me know what are your interests and I can show you the right direction.

brycematheson712

Well, for now, as a student in High School, I'd like to work in a local Computer shop. You know, easy stuff. Windows Installs, RAM Upgrades, Virus Removals, the basics.

After I graduate I'm looking towards a Degree in Computer Science. I'm not sure if that's what I would like for sure, but for now it is. I'm not sure what else is out there in the Computer field as far as Careers go.

So you think the A+ would be a waste if I were looking for a job? It wouldn't really make a difference?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Well, for now, as a student in High School, I'd like to work in a local Computer shop. You know, easy stuff. Windows Installs, RAM Upgrades, Virus Removals, the basics.

After I graduate I'm looking towards a Degree in Computer Science. I'm not sure if that's what I would like for sure, but for now it is. I'm not sure what else is out there in the Computer field as far as Careers go.

So you think the A+ would be a waste if I were looking for a job? It wouldn't really make a difference?

I'm 17 and applying to college. I work in a local computer shop and I think you'd just be wasting your time to get the A+ certification. I don't even use 3/4 of the information you'd learn taking the course anyway.

Motoxrdude

I don't think it is a waste of time. It's one more thing you can put on your resume, and everything counts.

brycematheson712

I don't even use 3/4 of the information you'd learn taking the course anyway.

Voyager, just curious, what do you think is the most difficult thing you've ever had to do at work?

I've been through some of the A+ Study guides and a lot of the stuff seems quite unneeded for everyday use. And, say, if you do need it there's always the internet to go and look it up, correct?

Chuck_Fu

banned
How do you get your A+ cert? Do you get it online or is it like a course where instructors teach you and where do they offer it at and is it free?

Shady

<b>VIP Member</b>
I don't think it is a waste of time. It's one more thing you can put on your resume, and everything counts.

If you are really gonna look for a "real" job in the IT field... A+ won't add any value to your resume. What's the point of getting A+ if you have a degree in Computer Science? you know what I mean.

As for the dude with the question. Most of the problems can be solved easily by just googling them, but you gotta know what to google, and this is the most important part, you don't have to know everything, you just need to know where to look if you need something. It just takes a little getting used to.
And getting a degree in computer science is not what you think, you won't be dealing with the same stuff... it's gonna be a lot of programming and algorithms and software engineering....etc a whole other area.

http://aduni.org/courses/
this might give you an idea about what you are gonna be studying in a faculty of computer science.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Voyager, just curious, what do you think is the most difficult thing you've ever had to do at work?

I've been through some of the A+ Study guides and a lot of the stuff seems quite unneeded for everyday use. And, say, if you do need it there's always the internet to go and look it up, correct?

The most difficult thing I'd say is maybe a very difficult diagnostic when I can't narrow down one specific problem.

There's so much I do that I can't remember everything I do and I know there are some extremely difficult things I've done.

Shady

<b>VIP Member</b>
How do you get your A+ cert? Do you get it online or is it like a course where instructors teach you and where do they offer it at and is it free?

You schedule for an exam, the exam costs about 168.00 USD.
You have 2 options, either to buy the book and study by yourself, or pay more money for an instructor at some center.

teamhex

Im doing it right now actually. You can buy books and study for 2 tests, theres 4 of them.
Any 2 will get you the Cert(however the first might be a prerequisite).
You either take classes to prepare or study the books and take the tests.
IMO Do the first Two

* Comptia A+ Essentials
* Comptia A+ 220-602 (IT Technician)
Comptia A+ 220-603 (Remote Support Technician)
Comptia A+ 220-604 (Depot Technician)

Last edited:

Chuck_Fu

banned
Im doing it right now actually. You can buy books and study for 2 tests, theres 4 of them.
Any 2 will get you the Cert(however the first might be a prerequisite).
You either take classes to prepare or study the books and take the tests.
IMO Do the first Two

* Comptia A+ Essentials
Comptia A+ 220-603 (Remote Support Technician)
Comptia A+ 220-604 (Depot Technician)

So whered you go to get the books and can you take the classes online.

so do these two out of the 4 tests
* Comptia A+ Essentials