A Couple Basic Questions (LAN Speed & File Sharing)

double b26

hey people, i have a couple questions about my network. hopefully they are pretty simple, and im just overlooking something...

the first problem is dealing with my LAN speed. i have 2 pc's and an xbox 360 on a 10/100 wired network, with a linksys befsr41 router. i can stream and transfer files among them, no problem. the problem is that i have never seen pc-to-pc transfer speeds at or above 10mbs.. usually its around 4-8mbs, even on multi-gig files. is there something i can do to get the transfer speed to increase? i did use the tcp optimizer on both pc's, but before they were networked, so i cant say if that effected LAN speeds. do you think that could be part of the problem?

the second problem is with my external hard drive (see signature) and file sharing. the drive is connected via usb 2.0. i can turn file sharing on, and it will share like it should. when i reboot the pc with the external turned off, then turn it on, the other computer cant access the drive. i have to get back on the pc that the drive is connected to and reactivate sharing, then it works. on the other hand, this does not affect sharing to the 360... i can turn the external drive off and on as i please. that may be because xbox sharing runs through media player 11, not windows like the external drive. also, the shared folders on the internal drive stay set like they should. so, does anyone know what i could do to keep the sharing settings turned on?

thanks for reading!