A couple of quick questions.

ak_hitman_47

Ok my dad bought a windows xp upgrade disk for his laptop and he used the cd key that came with it and installed windows xp home edition on his laptop. ok my computer came with windows xp and no discs. I completely wiped my hard drive so now i have no os. My friend has a discs that consisits of Windows ME (for dell it says) that he used about four years ago and on the computer he installed it on he now has windows xp. Ok now I got a couple of questions:

1) Can I install this Windows ME thats for dell on my Sony Vaio? Then use my dads upgrade xp disc and use my cd key and install xp that way?

2) If I can get a Retail Version of Windows XP from a firend can I use my cd key and install it?

3) If I can install this Windows ME and he used it four years ago but installed Windows XP over it will his cd key be free? Will/Can I get in trouble?

Last edited:

aqsg72

<b>VIP Member</b>
1) Can I install this Windows 2000ME thats for dell on my Sony Vaio?
Yeah

Then use my dads upgrade xp disc and use my cd key and install xp that way?
Most probably

2) If I can get a Retail Version of Windows XP from a firend can I use my cd key and install it?
Are you talking about the cd key that you had when you had your XP computer? Or your dad's upgrade disk cd key?
Either way, it would depend on whether this retail version is Home or Professional and whether the cd-key you would be using would be for home or profession (needs to correspond)

3) If I can install this Windows 2000ME and he used it four years ago but installed Windows XP over it will his cd key be free? Will/Can I get in trouble?
Yes you'll be able to use his 2000ME key no problems, and you won't get in trouble.