A few questions

GenesisV1

New Member
I don't have to best PC right now, and I'm wanting to upgrade before I buy borderlands.

The PC came:

AMD anthlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 2.71 GHz
Evga 8400 GS
2 GB RAM

on an ASUS M3A78-T motherboard, I'm pretty sure it's this one here.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131331

I took out the graphics card, since i wanted to try to integrated ATI Radeon HD 3300, and it works better then the 8400 gs, at the cost of decreasing my RAM to 1.75 GB. I want to upgrade to THIS card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161303

Questions:

1. I'm a complete novice at computer engineering, I understand some of the basics, and I won't have too much of a problem installing the card I hope. I'm absolutely lost at what I'm suppose to buy for this motherboard; the back of the box (I didn't build the computer, it was custom built for me) says "DDR2 1066 Support", however it also says "DDR3 SidePort Memory Onboard. Performance Boost! DDR3 Shared Memory for Integrated Graphics". Does this mean I am limited to using DDR2 Graphics cards, like the 4650 listed above? Or DDR3? I'm completely at a lost here with the given information, I don't want to buy a graphics card that my motherboard can't even handle.

2. The motherboards packaging also states "HDMI/DVI/RGB Support", and the card above is titled: Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card. No where does it mention anything about HDCP I think. Would this prevent me from using the card?

3. According to others, there are ways of using the integrated card and a dedicated one at the same time (not specifically mine). Is there a way for me to use my HD 3300 along with my 8400 GS? They're both of different brands, as one is ATI and the other is Nvidia. I noticed that the cable I plug into my monitor connected to the 8400 gs, when I took the card out, I had to connect it to my motherboard. If I put the 8400 GS back, and connected the monitor to my motherboard instead of the card, would it use the power of both the integrated card and the dedicated card?
More info:

-I'm looking for a cheap (under 50 or so would be nice) graphics card that can allow me to run some of todays games fairly decently, I'm happy with the specs of the one I listed, but what I don't want is someone to tell me to spend 1500 dollars building an overkill system.

-All in all, I simply want to know if the 4650 linked above will work on my motherboard.
 
Last edited:
The motherboard can handle that card no problem. Graphics card memory has nothing to do with system memory, that's a common misconecption.

Second, HDCP stands for High Definiton Contect Protection and is a feature, not a requirement. (google it)

You cannot use your 8400gs and Ati 3300 together. Your motherboard can do what is called Hybrid Crossfire, where you can use your integrated GPU together with an Ati card (from the 3xxx series). Ati's multiple GPU technology is called CrossFire, and nVidia's technology is called SLI. You cannot SLI/CrossFire an Ati and nVidia card together.

The 4650 you linked will work, but i'd recommend a 4670. this is the only 4670 worth buying:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...315&cm_re=his_4670_1gb-_-14-161-315-_-Product

It is worth the extra price. it comes with a better and quieter cooler, and is a much better choice overall.
 
Ahh I see, I'll consider it. Thank you for your input.

So if the graphics card fits into my motherboard, and I have the power supply to back it up with, then I can use it?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top