A Formula for a "faster" computer (Processor Vs RAM Vs HDD)

Jimbojohn

Hi dear enthusiasts :),

First I would like to share a bit of my experience and understanding regarding my question and please do not hesitate to correct me if there are misconceptions and mistakes because I am really a beginner.

I always had this question of is RAM the part responsible for making one’s computer “faster” or the processor. For example, should I focus on increasing the GHz speed of my processor as much as my mother board allows and the number of processor cores or should I increase the amount of the ram, the number of ram channels and the ram speed. Later, I came to know that increasing some of the mentioned parameters of either the processor or the RAM without considering the limitations of the other will only diminish the speed and performance. So I thought if one comes up with a formula or recipe that takes all the parameters of RAM and processor into account, the “fastest” computer for a GIVEN SPECIFICATIONS can be achieved.
However, something interesting happened. One of my friends changed his HDD to a SSD and this increased the speed of OS booting up and general file transfers ( for example the download of some files from a game client would finish faster on his computer than mine which has a HDD, but the download speeds were roughly the same). Then my friend and his friend got into a long discussion about whether this same result could be achieved with adding more RAM instead of changing the HDD to SSD. My question is:
Is there a formula or a recipe which takes into account all of the parameters of RAM, Processor and a HDD (or SSD) to make one’s computer “faster”.
By “faster” I means increased OS boot up speed, increased file transfer speed, increased OS and software feedback or response speed etc.

I also realized that I have left the video card out of this, but I believe that would only affect the fluency and speed of games or maybe recording videos or games.

I will really appreciate any ideas, guidance or reference materials as I know that my question is very generic perhaps and open to a lot of discussion and correction.
Thanks a lot in advanced :D

tylerjrb

The best option for a faster OS and program load times is an SSD which transfers much faster than a HDD. You would also notice an improvement with faster RAM such as going ddr2 to ddr3. Or say 1333mhz to 2000+. Although it would make a small difference in gaming.

Having a better, faster, more efficient cpu. Unless it's running high usage when loading the OS wouldn't be as big impact as an SSD. The cpu will help for high usage programs where the extra cores and faster speeds will make a difference such as scanning, compressing, editing, rendering etc.

A better Gpu is the best for gaming as long as the CPU is not bottlenecking. I.e CPU running 100%, Gpu running 70% because it's not powerful enough.

Jimbojohn

Thank you!!

Thanks !!:) It makes good sense. I guess the answer turns out to be be easier than a complicated formula.