A good laptop for 2k

bigsaucybob

im looking for a slim laptop, mobile centrino(prefer 2.0ghz) but can be less, a gig of ram and some type of video card. I am willing to spend give or take 2000 dollars. Any suggestions?

ckfordy

banned
bigsaucybob said:
im looking for a slim laptop, mobile centrino(prefer 2.0ghz) but can be less, a gig of ram and some type of video card. I am willing to spend give or take 2000 dollars. Any suggestions?

i would go with the dell 9300 or dell xps they might not be as slim as you wanted but they are in the 2000 dollar range

mikejr

The best for that money depends on what you're doing.

For general utility type work, a Dell Latitude D610 is VERY hard to beat - and should run around $1500 depending on how you config it.

XPS or Precision m70's are nice - but you still won't get high-end desktop performance on those. The fastest drives are still only 7500, and the Centrino is no powerhouse.

We order D610 almost exclusively for field usage, runs XP fine - the Radeon 9000 mobile card does a decent job for moderate 3D acceleration. But most importanlty - the case stout, and the keyboard is very stiff - no sloppiness when trying to type.

alanuofm

VIP Member
dell inspiron 9300

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 760 (2 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen XGA+ Display
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm
256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 6800
100GB Hard Drive
8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (80 WHr)
1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr Technical Support

free dell 720 printer

subtotal: $1864.00

alanuofm

VIP Member
XPS or Precision m70's are nice - but you still won't get high-end desktop performance on those. The fastest drives are still only 7500, and the Centrino is no powerhouse.

by centrino you mean the pentium M processor along with the intel pro wireless and intel 855/915 chipset. the pentium M clock for clock will dominate nearly all processors being a nearly identical copy of the pentium III which was arguably the best processor.

look up some bench marks for the pentium M. in video games, (ie doom as far as i can remember) beats the amd fx-57

tolkein

I'd go for a Dell too but make sure that it's a Latitude so you get better warranty. I'm using a Dell D800 personally - bought it refurb from Korea.

Lax

VIP Member
Acer and Asus make some pretty slim laptops and have some very nice bang for the buck. For price to preformance ratio I'd check out eMachines (yes I plug them a lot), they are fairly nice machines for around 1000-2000$.

alanuofm

VIP Member
here someone try to beat this price
inspiron 9300

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen XGA+ Display
512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm
256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 6800
80GB Hard Drive
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (80 WHr)
1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr Technical Support
Free Dell Color Printer 720

total: $1,255.00

alanuofm

VIP Member
if you are interested in a computer not for gaming then dont get the 9300. i'll be back later on. gotta run out

X24

Try the sony T series........wait, to small?
then try to get one of the sony's with a 9800 in it, or do they have 9700's? or go to ibuypower or cyberpower, they have a 1" notebook with a 256mb 6600

alanuofm

VIP Member
I am looking for a laptop under 1000$ preferably with centrino, but i will be fine with an AMD procesor and then go with a wireless card. So basically it needs to have mobile internet around my school campus. I only want it 2 take notes and go on the internet, and maybe watch DVD's.So Basically its for taking notes in Word and Powerpoint etc., watching dvds, listening to music, and searching the web. Anotehr ? i have would it be better to go with an slower speed intel centrino processor or a faster speed AMD processor with a wireless netowork card?

thanks

note: centrinos are not processors. pentium M's are processors. and the speed of a computer is not entirely based off a clock speed but how many calculations are done on each clock cycle. the pentium M architecture drastically differs from the pentium 4 so they cannot be compared just by clock speed. to put into perspective, the 1.6 p-m is faster than a 2.4 ghz p4.

this would be more than sufficient.

inspiron 600m
Pentium® M Processor 725(1.60 GHz/400MHz FSB) 14.1-in XGA w/32MB
radeon 9000
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
512MB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
40GB Hard Drive
1 Year Limited Warranty plus 1 Year Mail-In Service
Free Dell Color Printer 720
only 5.3 pounds

total: $765.70

alanuofm

VIP Member
X24 said:
Try the sony T series........wait, to small?
then try to get one of the sony's with a 9800 in it, or do they have 9700's? or go to ibuypower or cyberpower, they have a 1" notebook with a 256mb 6600

the t series is almost 2000$ and all you pay for is a smaller size and no performance.

X24

Ya, but that size is awesome, and anyway, look at one of the sony's with the 9800 or 9700 in it, or go to cyberpowersystem.com and look under pentium widescreen gaming, it should be second to last one down, its deffinatly worth looking at.