a problem caused by direct x (possibly)

its_me123

Hey

I have had a problem where I would try and view videos, my computers usage will go up to 100 and it will freeze and lag badly, for some reason When I disable direct 3d accelerations + direct draw it works fine. I thought my 256 mb ram was the problem and couldnt handle it so I have upgraded to over 1 gb now and it still does it.

any suggestions?

PC eye

banned
Try lowering the sound acceleration with the DXDiag utility rather then 3D. You can also go into the troubleshooting section of the desktop settings\advanced to lower the graphics acceleration there a notch or two. What type of player are you using? and what type of video files? This may be the thing to look at most. Keeping your video and sound drivers updated can usually help as well.

its_me123

The problem occurs when I view any video file with any media player, I tried keeping all video accelerations enabled and lower the sound accelerations but it still did it. I have to open task manager and end process. Takes a while since it lags badly.

I can view videos fine after I disable DirectDraw Aceelerations, (I tested it and Disabled Direct 3d and agp textures and left direct draw enabled and it still did it, as soon as I Disable direct draw I'm fine.

PC eye

banned
This is more commonly seen on gaming systems where there are a few tips provided by Microsoft as work arounds when problems come up. Here's a few things you can try out to see if there is any omprovement seen. The first is to disable the "write combining" seen in the adanvanced section of the display settings. Make sure that is unchecked. While you are in there you can lower the graphics acceleration as I mentioned earlier.

The next thing is to have the latest Direct X 9c installed or redownload it and then reinstall that. You may need updates for your video and sound even if you have to totally remove the present drivers first. That's not too uncommon when things start goofing up.

The other thing to mention is the use of the msconfig utility to disable services other then those included with Windows itself. Type msconfig at the Run prompt to bring up that screen and go into the services section. Once in there the first thing to do is check off the "hide all Microsoft services" box and then you are free to disable everything else. Once this is done restart the system and try re-enabling the DirectDraw and bring up the acceleration to try everything there. Give these ideas a try to see if it works out.