A Problem With Windows XP Restarting.

Rip_Uk

I realy did not know where to put this thread as I dont know what the problem is.

My girlfriends computer restarts sometimes when you press the user on the login screen, and sometimes when the user is logged in. Error messages say that Windows has recovered from a serious error.

The CPU temp is around 60C and for an AMD Athlon 2800+ I thought was pretty high. Could this be a temperature problem?

Another thing I thought about was the Hard Drive, is this dying?

Any help or ideas at all would be great. Thanks.

Mattu

Download Speed Fan (if you can stay logged in) and see if you can read the S.M.A.R.T. data form the hard drive to see if there is any problems with the hard drive. Speed Fan also reads cpu temp if the motherboard has a temp sensor to see if it's too hot also.

Rip_Uk

thanks, I will have to wait until tommorow to get to the computer but exactly what should I be looking for in the S.M.A.R.T data to see if there is a problem with the hard drive.

After doing a google search I have found that it could also be a problem with corrupt system files and doing a Windows Repair from the installation disk could rectify the problem, is this true?

Iluvpenguins

its possible,an easy way to fix this would be a fresh start,backup all the things that are remotely important like documents,backup music and some important game saves(if there are any)movies etc,and then just format the computer and reinstall windows and that could fix it(Do this if the repair install doesnt do much)