A replacement (new) GPU for $500

dlf

• What will you be doing with this PC? Be as specific as possible, and include specific games or programs you will be using.

Games (in no real specific order):
DOOM (2016)/eternal /newer wolfensteins
Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind (all heavily modded) /other
Baldur's Gate 3
The Witcher 3/Cyberpunk 2077
Batman: Arkham (Asylum/City/Origins/Knight)
System Shock 1 (Remake)/SystemShock 3
Grim Dawn / Titan quest
Divinity Original sins (series)
Emulation/older games (last decade/decades before)
Browse the web as well. I may try to fold proteins a little (folding@home)
  • What is your maximum budget before rebates/shipping/taxes?
$500 should be enough
  • When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Note: beyond a week or two from today means any build you receive will be out of date when you want to buy.
6+ months from now I'd imagine, would probably need to see what GPU's are suggested and how long the one on my 3770k lasts
  • Which country (and state/province) will you be purchasing the parts in? If you're in US, do you have access to a Microcenter location?
US - Texas. Yes. Although I may also order from Amazon.
  • If reusing any parts (including monitor(s)/keyboard/mouse/etc), what parts will you be reusing? Brands and models are appreciated.
Reusing:
Motherboard
CPU
RAM
Keyboard
Mouse
Monitors
Tower (/case)
Hardrives/ssd's.
Really only replacing the GPU.

• Will you be overclocking? If yes, are you interested in overclocking right away, or down the line? CPU and/or GPU?

NO. Texas is one of the hottest states in the US, I do not need the extra heat.
  • Are there any specific features or items you want/need in the build? (ex: SSD, large amount of storage or a RAID setup, CUDA or OpenCL support, etc)

Can't think of anything

• Do you have any specific case preferences (Size like ITX/microATX/mid-tower/full-tower, styles, colors, window or not, LED lighting, etc), or a particular color theme preference for the components?
See down below for current specs of the current PC
  • Do you need a copy of Windows included in the budget? If you do need one included, do you have a preference?
No, using Linux Mint
  • Misc:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/DlfC/games
https://www.gog.com/u/dbzlotrfan/ga...e&order=desc&comparedUserId=46988614724296672
[You can see what steam/GOG games I have/would want to play]
* Monitor(s) are:
BenQ EL2870U 28 inch 4K HDR Gaming Monitor
ASUS PB278Q 27 inch
Also, I am not a fanboy of any computer. I will consider AMD or Nvidia, EVGA, gigabyte, powercolor, sapphire, etc.
I would at the very least like a playable, enjoyable experience playing the games I've listed above at a good resolution, settings, and framerate.
Oh, and when I bought most of these components (I've had to replace a few hard drives) is April of 2013.
Random Question, does this motherboard let be put in an (NVME) SSD? If possible I may want to put in one of those small SSDs in (OS)

Current specs

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (x4, 32 GB total)
Storage: SanDisk Extreme 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3 GB Video Card {replacing this}
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

beers

Staff member
Howdy,

the new ampere line from Nvidia should be dropping relatively soon so it may be worth seeing how that pans out.

what’s your performance expectation? The Radeon 5700 seems like the best value card currently, plus you can flash it to xt