a Short?

baluba

I recently assembled my computer with all the parts that should be compatible and suitable for my needs.
specs:
CPU:AMD AThlon II x4 640 3.0ghz quad core 2.0 cache AM3
MOBO: ASUS M4a785-M
PSU: Corsair TX850W
HDD(s): one 300gb and one 500gb both Western Digital
Ram:WINTEC AMPX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
no pci cards

When I go to turn on the computer, I press the power button and the lights/fans turn on for a split second and then turn off.

I wondered if my mobo fried, so I exchanged it- this didn't help.
I then wondered if it was the CPU, so i exchanged it- didn't help.
I tested the HDDs and ram, they work in other computers.

I don't understand what is making my computer not even turn on.
There aren't any lose screws that I can find, and the wires are new and not exposed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I built a computer before this and never had this problem, it may be something noobish- but it never happened before.

Thanks again for any help.

If there are no ideas as to what is causing this, does anyone know of a good place to take the computer to have it fixed? Cause I'm just about done trying to make it run by myself.

jamesd1981

i would strip your pc back down and start again, there should be no gold risers unless there is a hole on the motherboard to match where they are, count the large holes on your motherboard there should be about 9, thats how many risers you may need.

But look at your case it may have some built in risers they look like bumps, try your board in the case match the holes on the board to the case floor, if any hole on the board matches a bump in the case floor you DO NOT need a riser there just screw into the bump.

Anywhere the holes on the board match a flat hole on the case floor you DO need a riser there, try that and let us know although you may have damaged your board if you have already tried to start it with risers touching the underside of the board.

StrangleHold

Staff member
There are some that aren't screwed in, is this an issue?

i would strip your pc back down and start again, there should be no gold risers unless there is a hole on the motherboard to match where they are, count the large holes on your motherboard there should be about 9, thats how many risers you may need.

But look at your case it may have some built in risers they look like bumps, try your board in the case match the holes on the board to the case floor, if any hole on the board matches a bump in the case floor you DO NOT need a riser there just screw into the bump.

Anywhere the holes on the board match a flat hole on the case floor you DO need a riser there, try that and let us know although you may have damaged your board if you have already tried to start it with risers touching the underside of the board.

To add to what jamesd1981 said. You only put a standoff under the holes in the board that have a grounded strip around them.
3849037491_e07b59477b.jpg

baluba

i checked the psu and fixed the grounding issue. I've progressed! now it turns on with no beep and only the cpu fan and case fans are working from what I can tell . The computer sends no signal to the monitor. The HDD light does flash. Sorry for the late reply

Nanobyte

When you say you fixed the grounding issue, does that mean that you could have had parts of the MB grounded? That may have caused MB or PSU problems. Also indicated by no beeps (you should get one if all OK).

Do you have a digital voltmeter to check the various voltage levels? You can find a pinout here. Accessibility may depend on hardware locations - you can get a small probe in the top of the connector down the side of each wire. Discharge static from you and your meter on the case before connecting. Wrist grounding strap preferred but not essential.

Battery in, CMOS jumper (if one present) not set in the clear position?

When you say the HDD flashed, was that once or continual? Did the drive run up to speed?

baluba

I don't have a voltometer. The HDD led flashes on and off just as if it were working normally. I doubt it's the powersupply because the computer does not shut off, i can keep it on forever it just doesn't beep or show anything on screen.